Skip to main content

Book Review: A Thorn in Every Heart by Kate King

A Thorn In Every Heart by Kate King (Enchanted Legacies #1) 

Release Date: April 1, 2025

Full Disclosure: I applied and was accepted to receive an eARC for this book, but there was a mix-up and I never got it/never received a response. Recently, I found it on Kindle Unlimited, so that's how I read it.

First of all, if you're looking for a heart-pumping, spicy romantasy, this is definitely a great book for you. Second of all, the same thing that got me to pick up the book is probably the main reason I'm not giving it 5 stars: Beauty and the Beast meets Anastasia! I was EXCITED. One of my favorite fairytales and one of my favorite historical mysteries! Yeah...no. 

Don't get me wrong. The book is clearly heavily influenced by both Disney films, but as someone who, yes, has seen the Disney films, but also has read other versions of both stories...no. I don't really see a lot of the Anastasia story at all, again, unless, you count select elements of the Disney movie, and yes, the story is incredibly heavily influenced by Beauty and the Beast but it's very much an inversion, actually, a critique of the Beauty and the Beast story. 

Again, don't get me wrong--I love a good fairytale inversion! It just wasn't what I was expecting, and in a romance its sets you off very much on the wrong foot. I think if this had been billed as "a dark twist on Beauty and the Beast" or "inspired by Beauty and the Beast and other fairytales," or something like "you know the Disney version but..." I wouldn't have been so put off looking for the fairytale elements and romance I was expecting.

Otherwise, this is an interesting rendering of a somewhat dark Fae world, has a lot of fun millenial references, pulls off a really steamy romance, and packs more than enough action for a movie. SJM fans, Megan van Dyke fans, and faerie/fairytale romantasy fans should definitely check out A Thorn In Every Heart, and yes, it's going to be a series!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases

I'm trying to post but take it easy, so I'm including my reactions to some of the example buzzwords Jana used in the prompt, plus any more I think of. I had some very strong and immediate reactions, probably since these buzzwords are so common, especially in romance and the romantasy that's ultrapopular these days! Happy Top Ten Tuesday! My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases Phrase: "Morally grey characters" My Reaction: NO. Why?: I'm thoroughly sick of this trend, especially because it typically means "morally grey male love interest" which typically actually means "I fell in love with a serial killer BUT HE LOOOOVES ME." No. Don't get me wrong, I can and do enjoy genuinely nuanced characters and I do not expect anyone, much less a fictional character, to be perfect nor do I want them to be, but if I see that phrase, I think Rhysand, or, at best, Christian Grey, and I'm just not into that. (But if you are, you're ...

Cozy Snowy Books and Books I Want for Hanukkah

 As usual, it's that time again to adjust the Top Ten Tuesday topic because tonight is the third night of Hanukkah. Hanukkah always starts on the 25th of Kislev but that sometimes needs some adjusting on the Gregorian calendar. Happy third night to my fellow celebrants, and happy almost-winter and/or winter holidays to everyone else! Since I also missed last week's topic, I've decided to share some cozy snowy reads--the topic was books set in snowy places but Jana added cozy and I like that as well-- to get into the wintery mood as well as some books I'd like for Hanukkah. Books Set in (Cozy) Snowy Places Love You a Latke by Amanda Elliott--This one is set during Hanukkah in Maine and NYC, so lots of cozy snow and wintry scenes in this evocative Hanukkah romance--and yes, it does involve a lot of food... The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis--Narnia is, of course, not an entirely nice place when the Pevensie children enter it, yet Mr. Tumnus, Mr. and Mrs....

Best Books I Read in 2025

 Woof. This was--I guess kind of an average reading year? Mostly good or decent reads, a few mediocre ones or ones that weren't for me. The books I'm including below are the ones I've thought about most this year--particularly The Feather Thief and Better Living Through Birding --it's hard to imagine I only read them in 2025! I guess I'm officially a nonfiction fan now. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Best Books I Read in 2025 Thistlefoot by GennaRose Nethercott--I loved Baba Yaga as a kid and I love this modern, Jewish take on the story The Feather Thief: Beauty, Obsession, and the Natural History Heist of the Century by Kirk W. Johnson--I'd recommend this to anyone. Just a fascinating story--I never knew how much I wanted to know about fly-tying and the mystery of dead nineteenth century birds Sunrise on the Reaping by Suzanne Collins--Another gut-wrenching Hunger Games triumph--and maybe unfortunately one more for our times  Lessons in Magic and Disaster by Charlie ...