Skip to main content

Books Read in April 2025

It was a solid although not spectacular reading month. I fell in love with J. Penner's cozy fantasy series, reading all three that are out now. I also read a couple books that have been on my TBR for years, including one by a woman in translation. I even read a more traditional classic, which I don't do a lot these days!

Books Read in April 2025

  1. Well Met by Jen DeLuca--A less famous Maryland renaissance faire gets off to a slow start but loins will burn.
  2. The Housekeeper and the Professor by Yoko Ogawa--An aging math professor's memory lasts only 80 minutes, but he makes a lasting impression on his housekeeper and her son.
  3. I Was Told It Would Get Easier by Abbi Waxman (Book club read)--A mom and daughter take a curated East Coast college tour. Honestly, skippable.
  4. A Fellowship of Bakers & Magic by J. Penner (Adenashire #1)--Fantasy British Bake Off. Have I said enough?
  5. A Fellowship of Librarians & Dragons by J. Penner (Adenashire #2)--Baked goods, tea, and an adorable baby dragon.
  6. A Study in Scarlet (Sherlock Holmes #1) by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (Other book club read)--The first in the Holmes series, which I'd never read before. Funny though outdated; what did he have against Mormons?
  7. A Fellowship of Games & Fables by J. Penner (Adenashire #3)--A winter games contest and a friends to lovers storyline plus baking, tea, and magic.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases

I'm trying to post but take it easy, so I'm including my reactions to some of the example buzzwords Jana used in the prompt, plus any more I think of. I had some very strong and immediate reactions, probably since these buzzwords are so common, especially in romance and the romantasy that's ultrapopular these days! Happy Top Ten Tuesday! My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases Phrase: "Morally grey characters" My Reaction: NO. Why?: I'm thoroughly sick of this trend, especially because it typically means "morally grey male love interest" which typically actually means "I fell in love with a serial killer BUT HE LOOOOVES ME." No. Don't get me wrong, I can and do enjoy genuinely nuanced characters and I do not expect anyone, much less a fictional character, to be perfect nor do I want them to be, but if I see that phrase, I think Rhysand, or, at best, Christian Grey, and I'm just not into that. (But if you are, you're ...

Cozy Snowy Books and Books I Want for Hanukkah

 As usual, it's that time again to adjust the Top Ten Tuesday topic because tonight is the third night of Hanukkah. Hanukkah always starts on the 25th of Kislev but that sometimes needs some adjusting on the Gregorian calendar. Happy third night to my fellow celebrants, and happy almost-winter and/or winter holidays to everyone else! Since I also missed last week's topic, I've decided to share some cozy snowy reads--the topic was books set in snowy places but Jana added cozy and I like that as well-- to get into the wintery mood as well as some books I'd like for Hanukkah. Books Set in (Cozy) Snowy Places Love You a Latke by Amanda Elliott--This one is set during Hanukkah in Maine and NYC, so lots of cozy snow and wintry scenes in this evocative Hanukkah romance--and yes, it does involve a lot of food... The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis--Narnia is, of course, not an entirely nice place when the Pevensie children enter it, yet Mr. Tumnus, Mr. and Mrs....

Best Books I Read in 2025

 Woof. This was--I guess kind of an average reading year? Mostly good or decent reads, a few mediocre ones or ones that weren't for me. The books I'm including below are the ones I've thought about most this year--particularly The Feather Thief and Better Living Through Birding --it's hard to imagine I only read them in 2025! I guess I'm officially a nonfiction fan now. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Best Books I Read in 2025 Thistlefoot by GennaRose Nethercott--I loved Baba Yaga as a kid and I love this modern, Jewish take on the story The Feather Thief: Beauty, Obsession, and the Natural History Heist of the Century by Kirk W. Johnson--I'd recommend this to anyone. Just a fascinating story--I never knew how much I wanted to know about fly-tying and the mystery of dead nineteenth century birds Sunrise on the Reaping by Suzanne Collins--Another gut-wrenching Hunger Games triumph--and maybe unfortunately one more for our times  Lessons in Magic and Disaster by Charlie ...