Skip to main content

Best Books I Read in 2025

 Woof. This was--I guess kind of an average reading year? Mostly good or decent reads, a few mediocre ones or ones that weren't for me. The books I'm including below are the ones I've thought about most this year--particularly The Feather Thief and Better Living Through Birding--it's hard to imagine I only read them in 2025! I guess I'm officially a nonfiction fan now. Happy Top Ten Tuesday!

Best Books I Read in 2025

  1. Thistlefoot by GennaRose Nethercott--I loved Baba Yaga as a kid and I love this modern, Jewish take on the story
  2. The Feather Thief: Beauty, Obsession, and the Natural History Heist of the Century by Kirk W. Johnson--I'd recommend this to anyone. Just a fascinating story--I never knew how much I wanted to know about fly-tying and the mystery of dead nineteenth century birds
  3. Sunrise on the Reaping by Suzanne Collins--Another gut-wrenching Hunger Games triumph--and maybe unfortunately one more for our times 
  4. Lessons in Magic and Disaster by Charlie Jane Anders--This is like all my favorite things in one book. Delicious Brit lit nerdery, witches, queer people, Boston and Cambridge, liminal spaces, and, yes, magic. Written by the incomparable Charlie Jane Anders (literally--one of the comps compared her to herself 🤣)!
  5. The Third Gilmore Girl by Kelly Bishop--She had such a fascinating life and she and the ghostwriter write it so well in her voice, which is very Emily Gilmore but a bit nicer!
  6. The Future by Naomi Alderman--A really interesting twist on a near-future apocalyptic future--leaves a lot to think about
  7. A Fellowship of Bakers & Magic/Adenashire series by J. Penner--This whole series was just a magical cozy fantasy delight. The first book really is a fantasy British Bakeoff, and I love how the other ones explore new characters and magical races and the setting but still stay cozy.
  8. How About Now: Poems by Kate Baer--Millenial woman poetry for the win
  9. The Housekeeper and the Professor by Yoko Ogawa--A quiet little slip of a book that makes you think about how people can really touch each others' lives in unexpected ways
  10. Better Living Through Birding: Notes from a Black Man in the Natural World by Christian Cooper--Another one I keep thinking about for many reasons--the birding, of course, but also Cooper's career in comics and just his life in general is so interesting. Highly recommend!

Comments

Lydia said…
Sunrise on the Reaping has been on so many lists this week!
Olivia Beck said…
What an impressive list. Happy 2026!
I’m glad you found some nonfiction to love
Thanks for sharing your #TTT
Marwah A said…
The Housekeeper and the Professor sounds amazing! I hope 2026 will be a great reading year for you 😊.

If you'd like to visit, here's my TTT: https://thebooklorefairyreads.wordpress.com/2026/01/06/top-ten-tuesday-best-books-i-read-in-2025/

~ Marwah @ The Booklore Fairy
Sunrise on the Reaping made my list too. I loved it.

Popular posts from this blog

My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases

I'm trying to post but take it easy, so I'm including my reactions to some of the example buzzwords Jana used in the prompt, plus any more I think of. I had some very strong and immediate reactions, probably since these buzzwords are so common, especially in romance and the romantasy that's ultrapopular these days! Happy Top Ten Tuesday! My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases Phrase: "Morally grey characters" My Reaction: NO. Why?: I'm thoroughly sick of this trend, especially because it typically means "morally grey male love interest" which typically actually means "I fell in love with a serial killer BUT HE LOOOOVES ME." No. Don't get me wrong, I can and do enjoy genuinely nuanced characters and I do not expect anyone, much less a fictional character, to be perfect nor do I want them to be, but if I see that phrase, I think Rhysand, or, at best, Christian Grey, and I'm just not into that. (But if you are, you're ...

Cozy Snowy Books and Books I Want for Hanukkah

 As usual, it's that time again to adjust the Top Ten Tuesday topic because tonight is the third night of Hanukkah. Hanukkah always starts on the 25th of Kislev but that sometimes needs some adjusting on the Gregorian calendar. Happy third night to my fellow celebrants, and happy almost-winter and/or winter holidays to everyone else! Since I also missed last week's topic, I've decided to share some cozy snowy reads--the topic was books set in snowy places but Jana added cozy and I like that as well-- to get into the wintery mood as well as some books I'd like for Hanukkah. Books Set in (Cozy) Snowy Places Love You a Latke by Amanda Elliott--This one is set during Hanukkah in Maine and NYC, so lots of cozy snow and wintry scenes in this evocative Hanukkah romance--and yes, it does involve a lot of food... The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis--Narnia is, of course, not an entirely nice place when the Pevensie children enter it, yet Mr. Tumnus, Mr. and Mrs....