Skip to main content

Best New-to-Me Authors in 2025

 I'm a day late, and new authors seems more do-able than all bookish discoveries--plus, I think these were my most important bookish discoveries in 2025 anyway. Happy (late) Top Ten Tuesday!

Best New-to-Me Authors in 2025

  1. Jessica Topper and Amanda Usen--Grouping them together since I've only read their joint Matzo Ballers Hanukkah romance series. Technically, I finished the first book on December 31, 2024, but I read three of them in 2025 (and one already in 2026!), so I think it's fair to count them as new-to-me approximately as of 2025. I just love their joyful, sexy, Jewish brand of Hanukkah romance: they're both incredibly funny and compelling writers who create complex and interesting characters from the get-go. I will definitely continue reading the Matzo Baller series and probably check out some of their other books as well.
  2. J. Penner--I became absolutely obsessed with their Adenashire cozy fantasy books in 2025! They are definitely now on the must-read list for me. I started getting into cozy fantasy in 2023-2024, but it was definitely one of my main genres of 2025!
  3. Jenny Sandiford--I think she was absolutely recommended to me because of J. Penner's books! I also loved her (slightly less) cozy fantasy series, the Tales of Midwinter Haven books. These are super cozy from the winter settings with lots of tea and baking, but they have higher/scarier stakes and villains than the Adenashire books. Still an auto-read for me though; she's an absolute genius with setting and tone and of course I love the characters too. 
  4. Abigail Scott--This was a review book from LibraryThing, and the Emelia Walsh cozy mystery series totally delivered! I love the idea of a Professional Bridesmaid, Emmy is a great detective-type character, and the closed door mystery conceit with minimal gore is so comforting and satisfying. I'm already reading the next one!
  5. K. Valentin--Ok, another LibraryThing review--I loved An Amateur Witch's Guide to Murder but it was way more gory than anything I would normally read and I only got through it because of the humor. That said, I definitely think Valentin's one of the best authors I read in 2025 and I would consider continuing this series because it's just so funny and I fell in love with the characters.

Comments

Lydia said…
Abigail Scott sounds interesting to me. I like cozy mysteries.

Popular posts from this blog

My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases

I'm trying to post but take it easy, so I'm including my reactions to some of the example buzzwords Jana used in the prompt, plus any more I think of. I had some very strong and immediate reactions, probably since these buzzwords are so common, especially in romance and the romantasy that's ultrapopular these days! Happy Top Ten Tuesday! My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases Phrase: "Morally grey characters" My Reaction: NO. Why?: I'm thoroughly sick of this trend, especially because it typically means "morally grey male love interest" which typically actually means "I fell in love with a serial killer BUT HE LOOOOVES ME." No. Don't get me wrong, I can and do enjoy genuinely nuanced characters and I do not expect anyone, much less a fictional character, to be perfect nor do I want them to be, but if I see that phrase, I think Rhysand, or, at best, Christian Grey, and I'm just not into that. (But if you are, you're ...

Cozy Snowy Books and Books I Want for Hanukkah

 As usual, it's that time again to adjust the Top Ten Tuesday topic because tonight is the third night of Hanukkah. Hanukkah always starts on the 25th of Kislev but that sometimes needs some adjusting on the Gregorian calendar. Happy third night to my fellow celebrants, and happy almost-winter and/or winter holidays to everyone else! Since I also missed last week's topic, I've decided to share some cozy snowy reads--the topic was books set in snowy places but Jana added cozy and I like that as well-- to get into the wintery mood as well as some books I'd like for Hanukkah. Books Set in (Cozy) Snowy Places Love You a Latke by Amanda Elliott--This one is set during Hanukkah in Maine and NYC, so lots of cozy snow and wintry scenes in this evocative Hanukkah romance--and yes, it does involve a lot of food... The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis--Narnia is, of course, not an entirely nice place when the Pevensie children enter it, yet Mr. Tumnus, Mr. and Mrs....

Books I Loved But Never Reviewed

 Reviewed is a strong word. I've mostly stopped doing formal book reviews except for author requests and/or when I feel like it, but I usually give some description and or opinions of books I'm reading, usually multiple times, through weekly and monthly wrap-ups. I do find that it' s more difficult to review my absolute favorite books than books I either disliked or engaged with strongly on an intellectual rather than emotional level. For example, I rarely review poetry beyond "I loved it'" or "Meh." It's much easier to explain criticism of vocabulary usage or a plot device than explain how the book felt like a snug little snow globe. So, for this Top Ten Tuesday , I'm listing books that I loved, didn't give a formal review, and (I think) didn't discuss too much.  Books I Loved But Never Reviewed A Closed and Common Orbit by Becky Chambers Tess of the Road by Rachel Hartman We Are Okay by Nina LaCour The Broken Earth Trilogy by N.K. J...