Skip to main content
Question: What was your favorite book at the age of 9 1/2 or 13 3/4? Whichever you remember best.

My Answer:

I remember when I was around 9 1/2, my absolute favorite book was A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle. I borrowed it from the library and read it twice in a row. I talked about it for months. Still, I didn't realize, and I suppose no one knew to tell me, that it was part of the Time Quartet, which I didn't read till years later. And I didn't own a copy of A Wrinkle in Time until last summer when I helped teach it in a Modern Fantasy class for fourth and fifth graders. My favorite parts include the first encounter with Mrs. Whatsit "There is such a thing as a tesseract", Mrs. Who's explanation of a tesseract, like two points on a line being suddenly pulled next to each other, and especially the Happy Medium. I went to see the play last year and just as Meg figured out how to get into her father's cell, the fire alarm went off. It fit in so well, nobody moved until the actors walked offstage!

Comments

Anonymous said…
I never read A Wrinkle in Time! My favorite book at that age was Starring Sally J. Freedman as Herself by Judy Blume. I think that's where I was first introduced to WWII and was the beginning of my fascination with novels delving into that period. (Reading The Book Thief many years later turned it into an obsession, LOL)
I love Judy Blume, but I never read that one. At that age, I'd read The one in the Middle is the Green Kangaroo, later I read Are You There God, It's Me, Margaret, and much later I read Forever.
I was about that age when I read A Wrinkle in Time too and it definitely stands as one of my all-time favorites. There's a play? Must. See.

Popular posts from this blog

Books On My Fall 2025 To-Read List

It's already mid-fall, so I've already read some of these, but I imagine I'll finish more before the fall is out! I'm reading quite widely these days--I seem to be reading 3-6 books at any given time, because of book clubs, yes, but also mood, format, and availability. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Books On My Fall 2025 To-Read List An Amateur Witch's Guide to Murder by K. Valentin--I received this ebook for review from LibraryThing, and I've never been quite so pleased with my choices! This was a hilarious ride from the get-go and crammed full of witchy Goth kid oddities and gore--a perfect Halloween read, and hopefully the beginning of a series! A Bridesmaid's Guide to Murder by Abigail Scott--Another ebook I received for review from LibraryThing--and whatever it is, books ending in "Guide to Murder" are killing it for me these days! (Let's not look too deep...) I'm not finished, but I'm loving it so far. Don't Forget to Write by Sara Go...

Cozy/Atmospheric Reads

I love this topic for rejoining Top Ten Tuesday!  I'm trying to lean in as much as possible to the coziness of fall and the upcoming winter season. I've done a lot better with that the last few years. Just because it isn't my favorite doesn't mean I can't enjoy it. Plus, some books I'm reading lately that are apropos for the Halloween atmosphere pervading my neighborhood this month at least.  Cozy/Atmospheric Reads Adenashire, a Cozy Fantasy Book Series by J. Penner--These books are the epitome of cozy fantasy with distinctive characters from a variety of creative fantasy backgrounds, including orcs, fennex, and gargoyles. The Bloodstained Key by Charity Rau--Not so cozy, but stiflingly atmospheric--a Gothic novel set inside a fairytale. The Unfortunate Side Effects of Heartbreak and Magic by Breanne Randall--Really captures the cozy atmosphere of a small town and a trove of magical family secrets. An Amateur Witch's Guide to Murder by K. Valentin--I don...

My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases

I'm trying to post but take it easy, so I'm including my reactions to some of the example buzzwords Jana used in the prompt, plus any more I think of. I had some very strong and immediate reactions, probably since these buzzwords are so common, especially in romance and the romantasy that's ultrapopular these days! Happy Top Ten Tuesday! My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases Phrase: "Morally grey characters" My Reaction: NO. Why?: I'm thoroughly sick of this trend, especially because it typically means "morally grey male love interest" which typically actually means "I fell in love with a serial killer BUT HE LOOOOVES ME." No. Don't get me wrong, I can and do enjoy genuinely nuanced characters and I do not expect anyone, much less a fictional character, to be perfect nor do I want them to be, but if I see that phrase, I think Rhysand, or, at best, Christian Grey, and I'm just not into that. (But if you are, you're ...