Skip to main content

Unorthodox Reading

27. Unorthodox: The Scandalous Rejection of My Hasidic Roots by Deborah Feldman

I have so much respect for Deborah Feldman. Born into the Satmar sect of Hasidic Judaism in Brooklyn, New York, she left the community with her young son at the age of 24. The amount of willpower and independence that a decision like that took, for someone in her position, is truly staggering. Although I've been paying attention to some of the buzz around the book, I had no idea until reading it how unusual a person Feldman is and how grossly oppressive her life was.

As a Jew, I have considerable familiarity with the religion as a whole, somewhat less with Hasidic culture, and none whatsoever with Satmar in particular. However, Feldman skilfully orients the reader to the Satmar culture through the eyes of an eleven-year-old child. Her first person, present tense narration feels just right for the baffled reader, who may recognize familiar literary characters (Anne of Green Gables, Elizabeth from Pride and Prejudice, and Francie of A Tree Grows in Brooklyn), but will likely be unacquainted with the tensions between the Aroinies and Zollies (supporters of different claimants to the Satmar leadership), the talking carp that warned that Jews should "Seek forgiveness or destruction will rain down on you" in the wake of September 11th, and the various rules for a kallah (bride), which include shaving her head and checking herself internally for bleeding for seven days after a menstrual period.

Feldman, the epitome of the literary outcast, is distinguished from her peers in terms of intelligence, "inferior connections," (she is not, like the royally named Miriam- Malka, a rabbi's daughter, but instead the offspring of a mentally questionable father and deserting mother), and, most significantly an unquenchable curiosity and drive to assert her individuality. She is the Hasidic Harry Potter, defined ultimately by her choices and not the circumstances of her birth. She explicitly makes this connection when writing of the children's books that she sneaks home from the library and hides under her mattress;

"It seems to me that in the literature revolving around children, children who are strange and misunderstood like me, at some point something comes along to transform their lives, to transport them to the magic netherworld to which they truly belong...Secretly, I too am waiting to fall down a hole into Wonderland, or pass through the back of a wardrobe into Narnia." (21)

Me too, Deborah. Me too. And my own slightly misfit, introverted, nerdy childhood possessed few of the strict regulations and saintly expectations foisted on Feldman at a young age. It's no secret that Jews know their guilt (Nu?), but her family takes it to a whole new level. The insufficient kashrut (kosher label) of Hershey's chocolates is the tip of the iceberg, to someone who was repeatedly told English would "poison her soul."

While it's tempting to say that Deborah's oppressive upbringing may have been solely the result of her family and there is no need to blame the entire Satmar community or give them a bad name, that position is disingenuous. If a significant amount of the community did not collude to separate boys and girls in school, to create a culture where education and college are anathema, where nice girls don't have high school degrees and there is a hierarchy to the severity of married women's hairstyles (a scarf over a bald head > bald with a wig > a wig over a few inches of hair growth), where a matchmaker picks a spouse that your family approves and various family and community members openly dissect and criticize your sex life -it is very unlikely that a woman like Feldman would have submitted at age 17 to marry a man she had met for thirty minutes. If she had examples of other people who had gotten out (besides a fictional character like Francie, and her mother, who was essentially forbidden to see her), it's likely she would have gone to college earlier. Instead, from every direction, Feldman was bombarded with ideas and imagery that urged her to conform, that threatened her if she didn't. Deborah Fedman was born into a self-perpetuating cult, and for every amazing oddball like her who managed to escape, there are a hundred children trapped there for life, and all the hundreds of children those hundred will be culturally induced to give birth to*.

Read Unorthodox. Read it for the beautiful passages in which Feldman evokes her grandmother's kitchen. Read it for the strange insight into the psyche of her grandfather, who believes he is protecting his offspring from another Holocaust, and most importantly, keeping their souls pure. Read it for the literary allusions that Feldman weaves with such alacrity into her own life story. Read it to satisfy your prurient curiosity about what the Satmar teach their children about sex and how their repressive systems inadvertently spur devilish homosexuality. Read it because Deborah Feldman is a talented writer who deserves your patronage.

But, most of all, read Unorthodox so that you can help spread and truly understand this message:

"For those of you who shove words like sinner and heretic in my face, the ones who ask, 'How dare you?' let me just say, I dare becuase I am free. I own myself, and so I have full power to make decisions that concern me. And if you want that too, that's okay, because that's something we all deserve. Even if they tell you different."

-Deborah Feldman

*To be clear about my own position, I identify as a Jew and have a lot of respect for Judaism in general as a religion and culture and do not believe it is a cult. However, I believe in free will and individual choice, and I believe that all people, including children, have the right not to be abused mentally, physically, or emotionally and the right to decide whether they want to practice a religion or particular observances of that religion, especially pertaining to their personal welfare. Cults violate those rights.

Comments

Marie Cloutier said…
Great review. There is a great documentary about the Satmar called A Life Apart. It's a bit old- 1974- but still probably pretty on-target. It does seem like a cult in some respects!
Thanks Marie! I will have to check that out. Unfortunately, it's probably still relevant.
Anonymous said…
aEvery story has two sides it would do you justice to explore the other side everything in this book is not necessarily true.

Popular posts from this blog

My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases

I'm trying to post but take it easy, so I'm including my reactions to some of the example buzzwords Jana used in the prompt, plus any more I think of. I had some very strong and immediate reactions, probably since these buzzwords are so common, especially in romance and the romantasy that's ultrapopular these days! Happy Top Ten Tuesday! My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases Phrase: "Morally grey characters" My Reaction: NO. Why?: I'm thoroughly sick of this trend, especially because it typically means "morally grey male love interest" which typically actually means "I fell in love with a serial killer BUT HE LOOOOVES ME." No. Don't get me wrong, I can and do enjoy genuinely nuanced characters and I do not expect anyone, much less a fictional character, to be perfect nor do I want them to be, but if I see that phrase, I think Rhysand, or, at best, Christian Grey, and I'm just not into that. (But if you are, you're ...

Cozy Snowy Books and Books I Want for Hanukkah

 As usual, it's that time again to adjust the Top Ten Tuesday topic because tonight is the third night of Hanukkah. Hanukkah always starts on the 25th of Kislev but that sometimes needs some adjusting on the Gregorian calendar. Happy third night to my fellow celebrants, and happy almost-winter and/or winter holidays to everyone else! Since I also missed last week's topic, I've decided to share some cozy snowy reads--the topic was books set in snowy places but Jana added cozy and I like that as well-- to get into the wintery mood as well as some books I'd like for Hanukkah. Books Set in (Cozy) Snowy Places Love You a Latke by Amanda Elliott--This one is set during Hanukkah in Maine and NYC, so lots of cozy snow and wintry scenes in this evocative Hanukkah romance--and yes, it does involve a lot of food... The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis--Narnia is, of course, not an entirely nice place when the Pevensie children enter it, yet Mr. Tumnus, Mr. and Mrs....

Best Books I Read in 2025

 Woof. This was--I guess kind of an average reading year? Mostly good or decent reads, a few mediocre ones or ones that weren't for me. The books I'm including below are the ones I've thought about most this year--particularly The Feather Thief and Better Living Through Birding --it's hard to imagine I only read them in 2025! I guess I'm officially a nonfiction fan now. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Best Books I Read in 2025 Thistlefoot by GennaRose Nethercott--I loved Baba Yaga as a kid and I love this modern, Jewish take on the story The Feather Thief: Beauty, Obsession, and the Natural History Heist of the Century by Kirk W. Johnson--I'd recommend this to anyone. Just a fascinating story--I never knew how much I wanted to know about fly-tying and the mystery of dead nineteenth century birds Sunrise on the Reaping by Suzanne Collins--Another gut-wrenching Hunger Games triumph--and maybe unfortunately one more for our times  Lessons in Magic and Disaster by Charlie ...