Skip to main content

Books Read in May

37. I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith



I Capture the Castle wasn't what I expected: it was better. It's the British version of A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, set in a castle, featuring a significant dog character. Cassandra is an imperfect quirky protagonist coming of age in a world that hasn't been fair to her or her family. Her English bulldog Heloise is my favorite character. I've rarely noticed a dog that's written so well, and it turns out that Dodie Smith is also the author of 101 Dalmations, so no wonder.

Recommended to weird, romantic readers. You know who you are.

38. Ship of Fools by Katherine Anne Porter



I already had plenty to say about Ship of Fools, and though I did finish it, my first impressions proved consistent. Ship of Fools has wry third person narration, sweeping views of an enormous cast of characters, and possibly the most stereotypes and racial epithets I've ever seen gathered in one place.

39. The 100: Day 21 by Kass Morgan



Continuation of The 100 introduces new elements to the story but very much feels like an ongoing saga that hasn't gotten as far as the TV show. Still, language is tight, plot is rolling, characters intriguing, ethics smoldering.

Comments

Rudejasper said…
Ha, HA! I'm a weird romantic weirdo because I loved I Capture the Castle! I love how it ends though it's a little melancholy.
I'm a weird romantic weirdo too, obvs. I just don't know how else to describe it, because it's not really romantic, but it's not not romantic---a little melancholy is apt.

Popular posts from this blog

My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases

I'm trying to post but take it easy, so I'm including my reactions to some of the example buzzwords Jana used in the prompt, plus any more I think of. I had some very strong and immediate reactions, probably since these buzzwords are so common, especially in romance and the romantasy that's ultrapopular these days! Happy Top Ten Tuesday! My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases Phrase: "Morally grey characters" My Reaction: NO. Why?: I'm thoroughly sick of this trend, especially because it typically means "morally grey male love interest" which typically actually means "I fell in love with a serial killer BUT HE LOOOOVES ME." No. Don't get me wrong, I can and do enjoy genuinely nuanced characters and I do not expect anyone, much less a fictional character, to be perfect nor do I want them to be, but if I see that phrase, I think Rhysand, or, at best, Christian Grey, and I'm just not into that. (But if you are, you're ...

Cozy Snowy Books and Books I Want for Hanukkah

 As usual, it's that time again to adjust the Top Ten Tuesday topic because tonight is the third night of Hanukkah. Hanukkah always starts on the 25th of Kislev but that sometimes needs some adjusting on the Gregorian calendar. Happy third night to my fellow celebrants, and happy almost-winter and/or winter holidays to everyone else! Since I also missed last week's topic, I've decided to share some cozy snowy reads--the topic was books set in snowy places but Jana added cozy and I like that as well-- to get into the wintery mood as well as some books I'd like for Hanukkah. Books Set in (Cozy) Snowy Places Love You a Latke by Amanda Elliott--This one is set during Hanukkah in Maine and NYC, so lots of cozy snow and wintry scenes in this evocative Hanukkah romance--and yes, it does involve a lot of food... The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis--Narnia is, of course, not an entirely nice place when the Pevensie children enter it, yet Mr. Tumnus, Mr. and Mrs....

Best Books I Read in 2025

 Woof. This was--I guess kind of an average reading year? Mostly good or decent reads, a few mediocre ones or ones that weren't for me. The books I'm including below are the ones I've thought about most this year--particularly The Feather Thief and Better Living Through Birding --it's hard to imagine I only read them in 2025! I guess I'm officially a nonfiction fan now. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Best Books I Read in 2025 Thistlefoot by GennaRose Nethercott--I loved Baba Yaga as a kid and I love this modern, Jewish take on the story The Feather Thief: Beauty, Obsession, and the Natural History Heist of the Century by Kirk W. Johnson--I'd recommend this to anyone. Just a fascinating story--I never knew how much I wanted to know about fly-tying and the mystery of dead nineteenth century birds Sunrise on the Reaping by Suzanne Collins--Another gut-wrenching Hunger Games triumph--and maybe unfortunately one more for our times  Lessons in Magic and Disaster by Charlie ...