Skip to main content

Top 15 Best Books I Read in 2015

Happy Top Ten Tuesday over at the Broke and the Bookish!


I couldn't choose just ten, so I chose fifteen of my favorite reads this year. Each of these books changed my way of thinking this year and continues to linger in my thoughts. Many carried over from my list halfway through the year, and some I read in the past couple months.

1. Kindred by Octavia Butler



2. Writing Down the Bones by Natalie Goldberg



3. The Writing Life by Annie Dillard



4. Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore



5. Dispatch from the Future by Leigh Stein



6. The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo



7. The Prisoner of Heaven by Carlos Ruiz Zafon



8. The Bondwoman's Narrative by Hannah Crafts



9. Every Last One by Anna Quindlen



10. Brave New Girls Ed. Mary Fan and Paige Daniels



11. The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss



12. Cinder by Marissa Meyer



13. The Creation of Eve by Lynn Cullen



14. All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr



15. I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith



Comments

Rudejasper said…
I had plenty of books I enjoyed this year but I do feel particularly meaningful books were thin on the ground for me. Your list looks like it has a little more heft to it! I did have the last book in the Lunar chronicles on my list, Winter, which I enjoyed very much, obviously.
I still need to finish the Graceling series so I'm happy to hear that the last one is a great read :D

Books of Amber
@Stephanie I do feel like I had some especially meaningful reads, particularly late in the year. I need to get to the rest of the Lunar chronicles!

@Amber I liked all the books, but I honestly thought Bitterblue was the best of the three!

Popular posts from this blog

My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases

I'm trying to post but take it easy, so I'm including my reactions to some of the example buzzwords Jana used in the prompt, plus any more I think of. I had some very strong and immediate reactions, probably since these buzzwords are so common, especially in romance and the romantasy that's ultrapopular these days! Happy Top Ten Tuesday! My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases Phrase: "Morally grey characters" My Reaction: NO. Why?: I'm thoroughly sick of this trend, especially because it typically means "morally grey male love interest" which typically actually means "I fell in love with a serial killer BUT HE LOOOOVES ME." No. Don't get me wrong, I can and do enjoy genuinely nuanced characters and I do not expect anyone, much less a fictional character, to be perfect nor do I want them to be, but if I see that phrase, I think Rhysand, or, at best, Christian Grey, and I'm just not into that. (But if you are, you're ...

Cozy Snowy Books and Books I Want for Hanukkah

 As usual, it's that time again to adjust the Top Ten Tuesday topic because tonight is the third night of Hanukkah. Hanukkah always starts on the 25th of Kislev but that sometimes needs some adjusting on the Gregorian calendar. Happy third night to my fellow celebrants, and happy almost-winter and/or winter holidays to everyone else! Since I also missed last week's topic, I've decided to share some cozy snowy reads--the topic was books set in snowy places but Jana added cozy and I like that as well-- to get into the wintery mood as well as some books I'd like for Hanukkah. Books Set in (Cozy) Snowy Places Love You a Latke by Amanda Elliott--This one is set during Hanukkah in Maine and NYC, so lots of cozy snow and wintry scenes in this evocative Hanukkah romance--and yes, it does involve a lot of food... The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis--Narnia is, of course, not an entirely nice place when the Pevensie children enter it, yet Mr. Tumnus, Mr. and Mrs....

Best Books I Read in 2025

 Woof. This was--I guess kind of an average reading year? Mostly good or decent reads, a few mediocre ones or ones that weren't for me. The books I'm including below are the ones I've thought about most this year--particularly The Feather Thief and Better Living Through Birding --it's hard to imagine I only read them in 2025! I guess I'm officially a nonfiction fan now. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Best Books I Read in 2025 Thistlefoot by GennaRose Nethercott--I loved Baba Yaga as a kid and I love this modern, Jewish take on the story The Feather Thief: Beauty, Obsession, and the Natural History Heist of the Century by Kirk W. Johnson--I'd recommend this to anyone. Just a fascinating story--I never knew how much I wanted to know about fly-tying and the mystery of dead nineteenth century birds Sunrise on the Reaping by Suzanne Collins--Another gut-wrenching Hunger Games triumph--and maybe unfortunately one more for our times  Lessons in Magic and Disaster by Charlie ...