Skip to main content

Bookish (And Not So Bookish) Thoughts

Bookish (And Not So Bookish) Thoughts is hosted over at Bookishly Boisterous!

1. I'm reading The Yiddish Policemen's Union by Michael Chabon and I love it, but I'm not sure how to break down how I feel about it. I'm definitely one of those people who has more difficulty describing why they loved a book than why they hated it. So glad I gave him a second chance after Wonder Boys, which I was not a big fan of.

2. I'm listening to the audiobook of Empress of the Night by Eva Stachniak, which I had been looking forward to. I loved the first book, The Winter Palace. However, I really want to DNF it and can't figure out entirely why. Maybe Stachniak's writing seems better in print than audio? Or maybe it's the change of character and also a plot device I find annoying that the first book didn't have. The first book is from a fictional character's perspective and this book is from the perspective of Catherine the Great. Also, it's supposed to be told as memories from her present as a dying old lady so the timeline is jumbled and "the present" keeps interrupting. I think I find that especially annoying in audiobooks, anyone else?

3. I realized that, although I've acquired a number of books recently, none were bought. I've gotten all my new books in the past few months from Bookmooch, review copies, the library, and one from a used bookstore when I traded in some books.

4. I do feel a little guilty for acquiring books, since I've spent so much effort lately getting rid of them. However, I've gotten rid of far more than I've acquired lately and have focused more on getting quality books that I want to keep (and I also know that I will be passing on those I don't want to keep).

5. When I reorganized my bookshelves recently during my Konmari book purge, I created a TBR shelf. It's too soon to tell whether it's a success or not, but anecdotally, I like knowing where to go to find all the books I haven't read yet, and it also creates some incentive to read those books so that I can move them to their "proper" shelves (or get rid of them) and cut down on the number of TBR shelves. I noticed Jamie at the Perpetual Page Turner is deciding whether or not to do that, and I bet others out there are too. Has this idea worked for you (or not) or would you consider it?

Comments

Christine said…
Interesting; I loved Wonder Boys and have yet to borrow my husband's copy of the Yiddish Policeman's Union. It didn't really spark my interest when I first read about it, but I'll have to reconsider.

Popular posts from this blog

Books On My Fall 2025 To-Read List

It's already mid-fall, so I've already read some of these, but I imagine I'll finish more before the fall is out! I'm reading quite widely these days--I seem to be reading 3-6 books at any given time, because of book clubs, yes, but also mood, format, and availability. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Books On My Fall 2025 To-Read List An Amateur Witch's Guide to Murder by K. Valentin--I received this ebook for review from LibraryThing, and I've never been quite so pleased with my choices! This was a hilarious ride from the get-go and crammed full of witchy Goth kid oddities and gore--a perfect Halloween read, and hopefully the beginning of a series! A Bridesmaid's Guide to Murder by Abigail Scott--Another ebook I received for review from LibraryThing--and whatever it is, books ending in "Guide to Murder" are killing it for me these days! (Let's not look too deep...) I'm not finished, but I'm loving it so far. Don't Forget to Write by Sara Go...

Cozy/Atmospheric Reads

I love this topic for rejoining Top Ten Tuesday!  I'm trying to lean in as much as possible to the coziness of fall and the upcoming winter season. I've done a lot better with that the last few years. Just because it isn't my favorite doesn't mean I can't enjoy it. Plus, some books I'm reading lately that are apropos for the Halloween atmosphere pervading my neighborhood this month at least.  Cozy/Atmospheric Reads Adenashire, a Cozy Fantasy Book Series by J. Penner--These books are the epitome of cozy fantasy with distinctive characters from a variety of creative fantasy backgrounds, including orcs, fennex, and gargoyles. The Bloodstained Key by Charity Rau--Not so cozy, but stiflingly atmospheric--a Gothic novel set inside a fairytale. The Unfortunate Side Effects of Heartbreak and Magic by Breanne Randall--Really captures the cozy atmosphere of a small town and a trove of magical family secrets. An Amateur Witch's Guide to Murder by K. Valentin--I don...

My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases

I'm trying to post but take it easy, so I'm including my reactions to some of the example buzzwords Jana used in the prompt, plus any more I think of. I had some very strong and immediate reactions, probably since these buzzwords are so common, especially in romance and the romantasy that's ultrapopular these days! Happy Top Ten Tuesday! My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases Phrase: "Morally grey characters" My Reaction: NO. Why?: I'm thoroughly sick of this trend, especially because it typically means "morally grey male love interest" which typically actually means "I fell in love with a serial killer BUT HE LOOOOVES ME." No. Don't get me wrong, I can and do enjoy genuinely nuanced characters and I do not expect anyone, much less a fictional character, to be perfect nor do I want them to be, but if I see that phrase, I think Rhysand, or, at best, Christian Grey, and I'm just not into that. (But if you are, you're ...