Skip to main content

Bookish (And Not So Bookish) Thoughts

Bookish (And Not So Bookish) Thoughts is hosted at Bookishly Boisterous.

1. I'm trying Rent the Runway for the first time. I know Meg at A Practical Wedding is a huge fan, and it's always recommended in the APW comments. I'm going to a friend's wedding in September, so it seemed a good opportunity to check it out. I wasn't overwhelmed by the choices, but it's better than going to a store and basically you can rent a $495 dress for $40ish AND you then return it after the event, which appeals to me hugely in terms of money and space saved. Not that I would spend $495 on a dress, but I could easily spend $100-$200 and then have few occasions to wear it again. If you're interested, try my referral link, which will give you and me $30 off: https://rtr.app.link/e/g9KBbsTPuP

2. Jamie at The Perpetual Page Turner inspired me to go grown-up back-to-school shopping! I always LOVED buying school supplies: notebooks, Post-Its, colored pencils, paper clips--it all made me so happy. My sister and I used to dump everything we'd picked out in the hallway and then 'trade' if we decided we liked the other's stuff better, which always worked out well for me, because she would pick the cutest notebooks and then decide she didn't want them all! This year, I actually need to buy clothes, shoes, and a haircut, but I'm branding it as 'back-to-school' shopping, and, as an educator, I am literally going to school anyway :-) AND I'm buying myself a cute notebook. Because.

3. I just finished Carry On by Rainbow Rowell, and I don't know why it hasn't blown up in popularity? It's purportedly the last canon book of Simon Snow, which Cath writes her fanfiction about in Fangirl. Simon Snow is clearly based on Harry Potter, but Harry Potter with a gay vampire, lots of other cool twists, and better writing (please don't shoot me). It clearly owes a debt to Harry/Draco Malfoy slash fic, but the World of Mages is completely its own, as are the four main viewpoint characters: Simon, Baz, Penelope, and Agatha--variations on Harry, Malfoy, Hermione, and Daphne from Scooby Doo, respectively. Everybody who likes Harry Potter and fanfic should be reading Carry On...I wish there were more books coming!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases

I'm trying to post but take it easy, so I'm including my reactions to some of the example buzzwords Jana used in the prompt, plus any more I think of. I had some very strong and immediate reactions, probably since these buzzwords are so common, especially in romance and the romantasy that's ultrapopular these days! Happy Top Ten Tuesday! My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases Phrase: "Morally grey characters" My Reaction: NO. Why?: I'm thoroughly sick of this trend, especially because it typically means "morally grey male love interest" which typically actually means "I fell in love with a serial killer BUT HE LOOOOVES ME." No. Don't get me wrong, I can and do enjoy genuinely nuanced characters and I do not expect anyone, much less a fictional character, to be perfect nor do I want them to be, but if I see that phrase, I think Rhysand, or, at best, Christian Grey, and I'm just not into that. (But if you are, you're ...

Cozy Snowy Books and Books I Want for Hanukkah

 As usual, it's that time again to adjust the Top Ten Tuesday topic because tonight is the third night of Hanukkah. Hanukkah always starts on the 25th of Kislev but that sometimes needs some adjusting on the Gregorian calendar. Happy third night to my fellow celebrants, and happy almost-winter and/or winter holidays to everyone else! Since I also missed last week's topic, I've decided to share some cozy snowy reads--the topic was books set in snowy places but Jana added cozy and I like that as well-- to get into the wintery mood as well as some books I'd like for Hanukkah. Books Set in (Cozy) Snowy Places Love You a Latke by Amanda Elliott--This one is set during Hanukkah in Maine and NYC, so lots of cozy snow and wintry scenes in this evocative Hanukkah romance--and yes, it does involve a lot of food... The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis--Narnia is, of course, not an entirely nice place when the Pevensie children enter it, yet Mr. Tumnus, Mr. and Mrs....

Best Books I Read in 2025

 Woof. This was--I guess kind of an average reading year? Mostly good or decent reads, a few mediocre ones or ones that weren't for me. The books I'm including below are the ones I've thought about most this year--particularly The Feather Thief and Better Living Through Birding --it's hard to imagine I only read them in 2025! I guess I'm officially a nonfiction fan now. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Best Books I Read in 2025 Thistlefoot by GennaRose Nethercott--I loved Baba Yaga as a kid and I love this modern, Jewish take on the story The Feather Thief: Beauty, Obsession, and the Natural History Heist of the Century by Kirk W. Johnson--I'd recommend this to anyone. Just a fascinating story--I never knew how much I wanted to know about fly-tying and the mystery of dead nineteenth century birds Sunrise on the Reaping by Suzanne Collins--Another gut-wrenching Hunger Games triumph--and maybe unfortunately one more for our times  Lessons in Magic and Disaster by Charlie ...