Skip to main content

Top Ten Books for a College Student

Happy Top Ten Tuesday over at That Artsy Reader Girl!

Top Ten Books for a College Student

Today was a back-to-school freebie at That Artsy Reader Girl, but I was inspired by Sorry, I'm Booked's post about top ten books for a college student, so I'm going to follow her lead, but with a twist, books for college seniors and books for recent college graduates!

Also, I feel like I should note that I went "back-to-school" yesterday at the college where I work! It truly is amazing stepping back on campus and having all of that student energy after our quiet summer!

Top Five Six Books for College Seniors

1. Broken Earth trilogy by N.K. Jemisin

These books weren't around when I was in college, but I've since recommended them to students I work with. Before you graduate, I think you should have a sense of what it's like to feel systemically oppressed, preferably within the novum of a fantasy novel. Plus, definitely fun for thought experiments (what if I could control the weather?) and book groups, with plenty of people on campus to talk to.

2. Woman on the Edge of Time by Marge Piercy

3. The Dispossessed by Ursula K. Le Guin

I read Woman on the Edge of Time and The Dispossessed for a utopian science fiction class in grad school, but a couple undergraduates were in our class, and I think these are great for senior year. Both play with ideas of utopia and how that affects gender and language (and vice versa), and neither have a perfect solution, but both books inspire you to create a better society--definitely something I want college seniors to think about!

4. "Sultana's Dream" by Rokheya Shekhawat Hussein

A short feminist utopian story with a similar aim to above, except I also love that this story is from a female Muslim Bengali writer from the late 19th/early 20th century, so, no, utopia does not have to be from a Western-centric perspective.

5. Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl

I read this as an adult, but it really shifted my perspective on life, and I wish I'd read it earlier.

6. "The Soul of Man Under Socialism" by Oscar Wilde

I did read this in college, in my Literary Theory class, which I'd put off till senior year. It's just a different perspective, and I love the idea of machines running everything so people are free to pursue their artistic callings.


Top Five Books for Recent College Graduates

1. Dispatch from the Future by Leigh Stein

These poems just get what being a millenial is all about, and as the last millenials have just graduated, maybe this won't resonate as much with future generations, but for now, highly recommend.

2. Best American Travel Writing 2013, edited by Elizabeth Gilbert

I loved this book, and read it during my Birthright Israel trip, post-grad school. Each essay tells a true story from a different part of the world, from dressing in a burqa, to running with the bulls, to a potential kidnapping by Bedouins. I particularly loved the stories from this year, although a new edition comes out every year.

3. Tiny Beautiful Things by Cheryl Strayed

These are based on Strayed's Dear Sugar columns from the Rumpus (back in the day...), but I enjoyed having it in book form, and I find many of the stories in the columns inspiring (but not preachy).

4. Big Magic by Elizabeth Gilbert

I'd especially recommend this for writers, but I think the idea that your work doesn't need to be your passion is important for anyone, and also the idea that your 'art,' whatever it is, is its own spirit, coming and going as it pleases, is freeing. It takes the pressure off to be 'original' or to be ridiculously productive. It comes when it comes.

5. The Sweet Life in Paris by David Lebovitz

This book just made me laugh aloud so.many.times. And although he's living in Paris (I think he would argue because he lives in Paris!), there are plenty of relatable adulting foibles, including paperwork catch-22s and tiny kitchen "solutions." 

Bonus: Books I Would NOT Recommend for Recent College Graduates, Especially If They Don't Have a Job Yet

1. What Color Is Your Parachute? by Richard N. Boles

2. The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen R. Covey

No matter how well-intentioned, these books will feel like a slap in the face to the unemployed recent graduate. Ask me how I know.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases

I'm trying to post but take it easy, so I'm including my reactions to some of the example buzzwords Jana used in the prompt, plus any more I think of. I had some very strong and immediate reactions, probably since these buzzwords are so common, especially in romance and the romantasy that's ultrapopular these days! Happy Top Ten Tuesday! My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases Phrase: "Morally grey characters" My Reaction: NO. Why?: I'm thoroughly sick of this trend, especially because it typically means "morally grey male love interest" which typically actually means "I fell in love with a serial killer BUT HE LOOOOVES ME." No. Don't get me wrong, I can and do enjoy genuinely nuanced characters and I do not expect anyone, much less a fictional character, to be perfect nor do I want them to be, but if I see that phrase, I think Rhysand, or, at best, Christian Grey, and I'm just not into that. (But if you are, you're ...

Cozy Snowy Books and Books I Want for Hanukkah

 As usual, it's that time again to adjust the Top Ten Tuesday topic because tonight is the third night of Hanukkah. Hanukkah always starts on the 25th of Kislev but that sometimes needs some adjusting on the Gregorian calendar. Happy third night to my fellow celebrants, and happy almost-winter and/or winter holidays to everyone else! Since I also missed last week's topic, I've decided to share some cozy snowy reads--the topic was books set in snowy places but Jana added cozy and I like that as well-- to get into the wintery mood as well as some books I'd like for Hanukkah. Books Set in (Cozy) Snowy Places Love You a Latke by Amanda Elliott--This one is set during Hanukkah in Maine and NYC, so lots of cozy snow and wintry scenes in this evocative Hanukkah romance--and yes, it does involve a lot of food... The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis--Narnia is, of course, not an entirely nice place when the Pevensie children enter it, yet Mr. Tumnus, Mr. and Mrs....

Best Books I Read in 2025

 Woof. This was--I guess kind of an average reading year? Mostly good or decent reads, a few mediocre ones or ones that weren't for me. The books I'm including below are the ones I've thought about most this year--particularly The Feather Thief and Better Living Through Birding --it's hard to imagine I only read them in 2025! I guess I'm officially a nonfiction fan now. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Best Books I Read in 2025 Thistlefoot by GennaRose Nethercott--I loved Baba Yaga as a kid and I love this modern, Jewish take on the story The Feather Thief: Beauty, Obsession, and the Natural History Heist of the Century by Kirk W. Johnson--I'd recommend this to anyone. Just a fascinating story--I never knew how much I wanted to know about fly-tying and the mystery of dead nineteenth century birds Sunrise on the Reaping by Suzanne Collins--Another gut-wrenching Hunger Games triumph--and maybe unfortunately one more for our times  Lessons in Magic and Disaster by Charlie ...