Skip to main content

Top Ten Favorite Tropes

Happy Top Ten Tuesday over at That Artsy Reader Girl!

My Top Ten Favorite Tropes


1. "Mary Sues"

I love strong, smart capable women like Wonder Woman and Tasha Yar and Jadzia Dax, and I don't think that's a downside to any story. There's a thorough exploration of the "Mary Sue" perfect woman self-insert trope in The Speed of Clouds by Miriam Seidel (and argument for why, imo, there's nothing wrong with that).

2. Quests

I love quests. Think The Hobbit, LOTR, the Belgariad and Malloreon, the Holy Grail, and lots of epic fantasy novels. I love a quest and the resulting journey.

3. Fellowships/found families

Similarly, I love the fellowships and found families that form along the quests or journeys, like LOTR, Firefly, The Raven Boys, the Wayfarers, etc.

4. Actual families/siblings

I also love stories about actual families, usually sibling groups, finding their way in the wilderness, like in the Chronicles of Narnia, Half Magic, Knight's Castle, the Swiss Family Robinson, Lost in Space (I love the Netflix adaptation of the latter--hope there's more seasons!).

5. Tricksters

I adore tricksters. Tricksters bring fiction (and nonfiction) to life, from Jack Sparrow to Gollum to Coyote or the Monkey King. Trickster keeps the plot moving. I even love trickster elements of books, like riddles or choose-your-own or my favorite:

6. Intrusive Narrators

I LOVE intrusive narrators. From "Cide Hamete Benengele" in Don Quixote to "S. Morgenstern" in The Princess Bride to Lemony Snicket, I love narrators who stick their noses in, define words, tell side stories, and generally get in the way. Jane Austen is the queen of snarky commentary on her characters and Mark Twain nails Hick Finn's innocent voice. The nineteenth century in general was gold for this, but it's never really gone away (as trickster never really does)!

7. Latent magic/hidden strength

I love when some latent magic or hidden strength pops up in a character, like Neville Longbottom standing up to his friends for sneaking out, or Meg Murry digging deep into her love to stand up to IT.

8. Sacrifice for Friends/Last Grand Stand

Ok...I make endless fun of my husband for his predictable love of last grand stands, but truth be told...I'm a sucker for them too. Whether it's the ending of Glory or Lee Scoresby's last stand for Lyra in The Golden Compass or even Boromir protecting Merry and Pippin, there's something beautiful about a willing sacrifice made for people you love.

9. Aliens/the other/the outsider [being accepted]

I love the trope of having an alien/other/outsider figure within a larger group and part of the story of the journey being the group coming to accept, love, and value the other. The classic example is Spock in Star Trek TOS, but also Data in Next Generation, and the Doctor and also Seven of Nine in Voyager.

10. "The Call"/The threshold

I love the moment of "The Call," or the moment the protagonist steps over the threshold and accepts the quest, whether it's stepping into a wardrobe or a painting, into a magical alleyway, or setting off to save one's village, destroy the Ring, or return a dragon's egg to the rightful owner.


Comments

Lydia said…
I love the found family trope as well.

My TTT
Unknown said…
Of course I love your #9 too! And have been realizing that I really enjoy descriptions of/insights into really alien aliens, like the Geck in Ann Leckie's Provenance...
Judy Krueger said…
Hi, trying to catch up a week later. My tops out of yours are 2,5,7,8.

Popular posts from this blog

My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases

I'm trying to post but take it easy, so I'm including my reactions to some of the example buzzwords Jana used in the prompt, plus any more I think of. I had some very strong and immediate reactions, probably since these buzzwords are so common, especially in romance and the romantasy that's ultrapopular these days! Happy Top Ten Tuesday! My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases Phrase: "Morally grey characters" My Reaction: NO. Why?: I'm thoroughly sick of this trend, especially because it typically means "morally grey male love interest" which typically actually means "I fell in love with a serial killer BUT HE LOOOOVES ME." No. Don't get me wrong, I can and do enjoy genuinely nuanced characters and I do not expect anyone, much less a fictional character, to be perfect nor do I want them to be, but if I see that phrase, I think Rhysand, or, at best, Christian Grey, and I'm just not into that. (But if you are, you're ...

Cozy Snowy Books and Books I Want for Hanukkah

 As usual, it's that time again to adjust the Top Ten Tuesday topic because tonight is the third night of Hanukkah. Hanukkah always starts on the 25th of Kislev but that sometimes needs some adjusting on the Gregorian calendar. Happy third night to my fellow celebrants, and happy almost-winter and/or winter holidays to everyone else! Since I also missed last week's topic, I've decided to share some cozy snowy reads--the topic was books set in snowy places but Jana added cozy and I like that as well-- to get into the wintery mood as well as some books I'd like for Hanukkah. Books Set in (Cozy) Snowy Places Love You a Latke by Amanda Elliott--This one is set during Hanukkah in Maine and NYC, so lots of cozy snow and wintry scenes in this evocative Hanukkah romance--and yes, it does involve a lot of food... The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis--Narnia is, of course, not an entirely nice place when the Pevensie children enter it, yet Mr. Tumnus, Mr. and Mrs....

Best Books I Read in 2025

 Woof. This was--I guess kind of an average reading year? Mostly good or decent reads, a few mediocre ones or ones that weren't for me. The books I'm including below are the ones I've thought about most this year--particularly The Feather Thief and Better Living Through Birding --it's hard to imagine I only read them in 2025! I guess I'm officially a nonfiction fan now. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Best Books I Read in 2025 Thistlefoot by GennaRose Nethercott--I loved Baba Yaga as a kid and I love this modern, Jewish take on the story The Feather Thief: Beauty, Obsession, and the Natural History Heist of the Century by Kirk W. Johnson--I'd recommend this to anyone. Just a fascinating story--I never knew how much I wanted to know about fly-tying and the mystery of dead nineteenth century birds Sunrise on the Reaping by Suzanne Collins--Another gut-wrenching Hunger Games triumph--and maybe unfortunately one more for our times  Lessons in Magic and Disaster by Charlie ...