Skip to main content

Books I Wish I Had Read As A Child


Happy Top Ten Tuesday over at That Artsy Reader Girl!

I read a lot of books as a child that impacted me for life, and I'm so glad I did. However, as a teacher and book blogger, I hear about so many other great books that I wish I'd gotten to read as a child or young adult--the eternal conundrum: so many books, so little time! Here are ten books I read as an adult that I wish I had read as a child or teen:

Books I Wish I Had Read As A Child
  1. The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster
  2. The Enchanted Castle by E. Nesbit
  3. Tuesdays at the Castle by Jessica Day George
  4. Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones
  5. The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin
Sensing kind of a theme here: my love for castles transcends my childhood and adulthood!

Books I Wish I Had Read as a Teen
  1. Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl
  2. I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith
  3. Kindred by Octavia Butler
  4. Deenie by Judy Blume
  5. Briar Rose by Jane Yolen

Comments

Lydia said…
Kindred is a great choice for this week's prompt! Yes, that should be something for every teen to read.

My TTT .
Lectrice Vorace said…
The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster is also on my TTT list this week. Here's my Top Ten Tuesday List!
Howl's Moving Castle would've been a great one to experience as a kid! It's on my TBR to read soon (even though I watched the movie as a teenager), and it's not quite the same as reading it as a kid, but ... better late than never? xD

Here's my TTT post.
Judy Krueger said…
I wish I had read all of Judy Blume's books as a teen. I still have not read Octavia Butler but I plan to this year.
RS said…
I haven't read much Blume, but I have read Deenie; that's a good choice. Also, so nice to see a mention of Briar Rose. We read it for class in 8th grade and I'm not sure I fully understood it, but the story/title always stuck with me, so I can't complain.
We had to read The Westing Game in 6th grade and I loved it. :)

Lauren @ Always Me

Popular posts from this blog

My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases

I'm trying to post but take it easy, so I'm including my reactions to some of the example buzzwords Jana used in the prompt, plus any more I think of. I had some very strong and immediate reactions, probably since these buzzwords are so common, especially in romance and the romantasy that's ultrapopular these days! Happy Top Ten Tuesday! My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases Phrase: "Morally grey characters" My Reaction: NO. Why?: I'm thoroughly sick of this trend, especially because it typically means "morally grey male love interest" which typically actually means "I fell in love with a serial killer BUT HE LOOOOVES ME." No. Don't get me wrong, I can and do enjoy genuinely nuanced characters and I do not expect anyone, much less a fictional character, to be perfect nor do I want them to be, but if I see that phrase, I think Rhysand, or, at best, Christian Grey, and I'm just not into that. (But if you are, you're ...

Cozy Snowy Books and Books I Want for Hanukkah

 As usual, it's that time again to adjust the Top Ten Tuesday topic because tonight is the third night of Hanukkah. Hanukkah always starts on the 25th of Kislev but that sometimes needs some adjusting on the Gregorian calendar. Happy third night to my fellow celebrants, and happy almost-winter and/or winter holidays to everyone else! Since I also missed last week's topic, I've decided to share some cozy snowy reads--the topic was books set in snowy places but Jana added cozy and I like that as well-- to get into the wintery mood as well as some books I'd like for Hanukkah. Books Set in (Cozy) Snowy Places Love You a Latke by Amanda Elliott--This one is set during Hanukkah in Maine and NYC, so lots of cozy snow and wintry scenes in this evocative Hanukkah romance--and yes, it does involve a lot of food... The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis--Narnia is, of course, not an entirely nice place when the Pevensie children enter it, yet Mr. Tumnus, Mr. and Mrs....

Best Books I Read in 2025

 Woof. This was--I guess kind of an average reading year? Mostly good or decent reads, a few mediocre ones or ones that weren't for me. The books I'm including below are the ones I've thought about most this year--particularly The Feather Thief and Better Living Through Birding --it's hard to imagine I only read them in 2025! I guess I'm officially a nonfiction fan now. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Best Books I Read in 2025 Thistlefoot by GennaRose Nethercott--I loved Baba Yaga as a kid and I love this modern, Jewish take on the story The Feather Thief: Beauty, Obsession, and the Natural History Heist of the Century by Kirk W. Johnson--I'd recommend this to anyone. Just a fascinating story--I never knew how much I wanted to know about fly-tying and the mystery of dead nineteenth century birds Sunrise on the Reaping by Suzanne Collins--Another gut-wrenching Hunger Games triumph--and maybe unfortunately one more for our times  Lessons in Magic and Disaster by Charlie ...