Skip to main content

Top Ten Books I Enjoyed But Rarely Talk About




I love this topic! Some books come up frequently on the blog because they're new or popular or classics. However, some are rarely discussed either because they don't fit with other books or topics I discuss or aren't as much in the zeitgeist, so I'm glad to highlight some of my less touted favorites today!

Happy Top Ten Tuesday over at That Artsy Reader Girl

Top Ten Books I Enjoyed But Rarely Talk About

1. The Farthest-Away Mountain by Lynne Reid Banks
2. The Seventh Princess by Nick Sullivan
3. Hatchet by Gary Paulsen
4. World War Z by Max Brooks
5. Friday the Rabbi Slept Late by Harry Kemelman
6. The Devil Wears Prada by Lauren Weisberger
7. Marathon Miranda by Elizabeth Winthrop
8. Calico Captive by Elizabeth George Speare
9. Dancing on the Edge by Han Nolan

A lot of these, as so many of my favorites, are books that impacted me as children. Nobody who knows me is surprised that some of the books that influenced my childhood included Little Women, Anne of Green Gables, Pride and Prejudice, Harry Potter, or Lord of the Rings. However, I think some might be surprised to know that Hatchet and its sequel Brian's Winter were two of my favorite books as a child. I went on a whole survival kick, reading books like My Side of the Mountain, and others. The Farthest-Away Mountain and The Seventh Princess are two what would now be considered middle grade standalone fantasy novels that I loved as a kid, but never really got to talk about since I don't think I knew (or know) anyone else who had read them. Marathon Miranda and Dancing on the Edge were also kind of obscure middle grade books that I loved as a kid, both set in the real world and dealing with female protagonists with problems that I related to. The other books are just books that I really liked in genres that I don't normally read or people don't normally associate with me, like contemporary and mystery.

Comments

Lydia said…
World War Z is a good choice!

My TTT .
RS said…
Fun choices! I remember really loving The Hatchet -- I think I read the sequel as well but don't remember it as well. And I've read Dancing on the Edge a couple of times. It is such a strange premise...but so prettily written.
@RS I don't think I've ever met anybody else who's read Dancing on the Edge! It is a really weird book but for some reason I just loved it. I think I related heavily to the protagonist's sense of isolation in her own life.

Popular posts from this blog

My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases

I'm trying to post but take it easy, so I'm including my reactions to some of the example buzzwords Jana used in the prompt, plus any more I think of. I had some very strong and immediate reactions, probably since these buzzwords are so common, especially in romance and the romantasy that's ultrapopular these days! Happy Top Ten Tuesday! My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases Phrase: "Morally grey characters" My Reaction: NO. Why?: I'm thoroughly sick of this trend, especially because it typically means "morally grey male love interest" which typically actually means "I fell in love with a serial killer BUT HE LOOOOVES ME." No. Don't get me wrong, I can and do enjoy genuinely nuanced characters and I do not expect anyone, much less a fictional character, to be perfect nor do I want them to be, but if I see that phrase, I think Rhysand, or, at best, Christian Grey, and I'm just not into that. (But if you are, you're ...

Cozy Snowy Books and Books I Want for Hanukkah

 As usual, it's that time again to adjust the Top Ten Tuesday topic because tonight is the third night of Hanukkah. Hanukkah always starts on the 25th of Kislev but that sometimes needs some adjusting on the Gregorian calendar. Happy third night to my fellow celebrants, and happy almost-winter and/or winter holidays to everyone else! Since I also missed last week's topic, I've decided to share some cozy snowy reads--the topic was books set in snowy places but Jana added cozy and I like that as well-- to get into the wintery mood as well as some books I'd like for Hanukkah. Books Set in (Cozy) Snowy Places Love You a Latke by Amanda Elliott--This one is set during Hanukkah in Maine and NYC, so lots of cozy snow and wintry scenes in this evocative Hanukkah romance--and yes, it does involve a lot of food... The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis--Narnia is, of course, not an entirely nice place when the Pevensie children enter it, yet Mr. Tumnus, Mr. and Mrs....

Best Books I Read in 2025

 Woof. This was--I guess kind of an average reading year? Mostly good or decent reads, a few mediocre ones or ones that weren't for me. The books I'm including below are the ones I've thought about most this year--particularly The Feather Thief and Better Living Through Birding --it's hard to imagine I only read them in 2025! I guess I'm officially a nonfiction fan now. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Best Books I Read in 2025 Thistlefoot by GennaRose Nethercott--I loved Baba Yaga as a kid and I love this modern, Jewish take on the story The Feather Thief: Beauty, Obsession, and the Natural History Heist of the Century by Kirk W. Johnson--I'd recommend this to anyone. Just a fascinating story--I never knew how much I wanted to know about fly-tying and the mystery of dead nineteenth century birds Sunrise on the Reaping by Suzanne Collins--Another gut-wrenching Hunger Games triumph--and maybe unfortunately one more for our times  Lessons in Magic and Disaster by Charlie ...