Skip to main content

Halloween Short Stories


 I haven't been into spooky stories in years (not since I got in trouble for scaring all the little girls at my sister's sleepover, ahem), but since we won't have traditional trick-or-treating or places to show off costumes, I'm trying to get into the Halloween spirit in other ways. I've made a whole tray of treat bags to mail out to the kiddos in my life, and the other day, I even voluntarily started reading a "scary" story--and I really enjoyed it. I like these kinds of softly haunting stories that get into the supernatural without being gory. So, here are a couple recent stories from Tor.com that helped me get into the Halloween atmosphere.

1. "Hearts in the Hard Ground" by G.V. Anderson

Loved this softly haunting story about a house full of more or less harmless ghosts. 

2. Placed into Abyss (Mise en Abyse) by Rachel Swirsky

I love Rachel Swirsky's writing, though this is actually the least weird story by her that I've read. It's a story that involves haunting and/or time travel, depending on how you view it. TW for abuse. 

3. How Lolly Willowes Smashed the Patriarchy By Selling Her Soul to Satan by Kristen Hanley Cardozo

It's not a short story, but I had to add this essay I just read from Electric Lit to the list. Cardozo hauntingly explains why selling your soul to Satan is preferable to living under the patriarchy. 

Comments

Lydia said…
I love supernatural stories! And Tor has so many great stories of all types.

My post.
Marianne said…
That is a lovely way of sharing, thanks for giving me some new ideas.

And thanks for visiting my TTT earlier. It was nice talking to you.
Judy Krueger said…
I like the idea of that last one.
Sue Jackson said…
Oooh...I haven't read any of these yet! I bet Shirley Jackson has some good spooky short stories, too. I just finished reading her novel, The Haunting of Hill House, and it was so good! And very creepy.

Sue

Book By Book

Popular posts from this blog

My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases

I'm trying to post but take it easy, so I'm including my reactions to some of the example buzzwords Jana used in the prompt, plus any more I think of. I had some very strong and immediate reactions, probably since these buzzwords are so common, especially in romance and the romantasy that's ultrapopular these days! Happy Top Ten Tuesday! My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases Phrase: "Morally grey characters" My Reaction: NO. Why?: I'm thoroughly sick of this trend, especially because it typically means "morally grey male love interest" which typically actually means "I fell in love with a serial killer BUT HE LOOOOVES ME." No. Don't get me wrong, I can and do enjoy genuinely nuanced characters and I do not expect anyone, much less a fictional character, to be perfect nor do I want them to be, but if I see that phrase, I think Rhysand, or, at best, Christian Grey, and I'm just not into that. (But if you are, you're ...

Cozy Snowy Books and Books I Want for Hanukkah

 As usual, it's that time again to adjust the Top Ten Tuesday topic because tonight is the third night of Hanukkah. Hanukkah always starts on the 25th of Kislev but that sometimes needs some adjusting on the Gregorian calendar. Happy third night to my fellow celebrants, and happy almost-winter and/or winter holidays to everyone else! Since I also missed last week's topic, I've decided to share some cozy snowy reads--the topic was books set in snowy places but Jana added cozy and I like that as well-- to get into the wintery mood as well as some books I'd like for Hanukkah. Books Set in (Cozy) Snowy Places Love You a Latke by Amanda Elliott--This one is set during Hanukkah in Maine and NYC, so lots of cozy snow and wintry scenes in this evocative Hanukkah romance--and yes, it does involve a lot of food... The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis--Narnia is, of course, not an entirely nice place when the Pevensie children enter it, yet Mr. Tumnus, Mr. and Mrs....

Best Books I Read in 2025

 Woof. This was--I guess kind of an average reading year? Mostly good or decent reads, a few mediocre ones or ones that weren't for me. The books I'm including below are the ones I've thought about most this year--particularly The Feather Thief and Better Living Through Birding --it's hard to imagine I only read them in 2025! I guess I'm officially a nonfiction fan now. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Best Books I Read in 2025 Thistlefoot by GennaRose Nethercott--I loved Baba Yaga as a kid and I love this modern, Jewish take on the story The Feather Thief: Beauty, Obsession, and the Natural History Heist of the Century by Kirk W. Johnson--I'd recommend this to anyone. Just a fascinating story--I never knew how much I wanted to know about fly-tying and the mystery of dead nineteenth century birds Sunrise on the Reaping by Suzanne Collins--Another gut-wrenching Hunger Games triumph--and maybe unfortunately one more for our times  Lessons in Magic and Disaster by Charlie ...