Skip to main content

Book Review: The Bloodstained Key by Charity Rau

 

The Bloodstained Key by Charity Rau
The Bloodstained Key is exactly what I wanted it to be--a fleshed out fantasy retelling of the story of Bluebeard. Marianna makes a great protagonist as the "wife who lives," and I also enjoyed the characterization of her maid Betsy and sister Annette, plus the library of everyone's dreams. Rau nails the elements of the original fairytale and expands on them in ways that add to the Gothic, claustrophobic feel of the original.

My only silly quibble is that I was distracted by a few awkward uses of diction ("taxidermized" late in the book, when before that the diction was standard American) and references to the "poorhouse" that didn't seem to fit with the other period-type references of balls and matches, and therefore took me out of the world. It's not technically historical fic, but felt weird to me in combination, YMMV. However, I think this is because being so immersed in the world is crucial to what is aptly meant to be a Gothic novel--and I was otherwise immersed!

On the other hand, I loved the references to all the imaginary fairytale or Gothic-type books Marianna had read, and how the house itself almost becomes a character, with its twists and turns holding Marianna hostage as much as or more than Lord Bludington. Overall, I loved what Rau did with an often overlooked fairytale, and her clearly deep affection for fairytales and Gothic suspense, and I would definitely read the Neverland-themed sequel hinted at in the epilogue.

Received for review from LibraryThing; all opinions are my own.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Books with Single-Word Titles

Happy Top Ten Tuesday over at That Artsy Reader Girl! Books with Single-Word Titles These are all my favorite books that I could think of with one-word titles. A lot of fantasy, a few nonfiction (minus subtitles) and Kindred , whether you consider it scifi or historical fiction. Also two portmanteaus using the word "bitter." I suppose it's a word that lends itself to amelioration. 1. Sweetbitter by Stephanie Danler 2. Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore 3. Fire by Kristin Cashore 4. Heartless by Marissa Meyer 5. Inheritance by Christopher Paolini 6. Meditations by Marcus Aurelius 7. Stoned by Aja Raden (has a subtitle) 8. Educated by Tara Westover 9. Fledgling by Octavia Butler 10. Kindred by Octavia Butler

Reading Goals I Still Want to Accomplish in 2023

 I am well on my way or even done with some of my bookish goals for 2023  😁, while having barely completed or not even started others 😧. I would still like to complete these goals this year, so this is a good reminder to ramp up my efforts in the last quarter of 2023. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Reading Goals I Still Want to Accomplish in 2023 Read at least 36 books-- I've done this already! I just completed 36 books at the end of September. This is way less than I've read in previous years, but I wanted to go easy on myself since I started a new job in the past year and change.  Read books I already own, library, or Kindle books.-- Yup! I've gotten very good at this--I've read a lot of library books (ex. left), a few books I owned, and the only books I've bought were Kindle deals.  Read at least two books by women in translation.-- Pretty sure I did not do this at all yet... Read at least 25% books by authors of color.-- I have read some books by authors of color this

Book Review: The Speed of Clouds by Miriam Seidel

Book Review: The Speed of Clouds by Miriam Seidel *To Be Released from New Door Books on April 10, 2018* Mindy Vogel is haunted by the future. In frequent daydreams, she toggles between her real, wheelchair-bound life and the adventurous life of her fanfic alter ego, SkyLog officer Kat Wanderer. She's haunted by all that Kat can do which she cannot---belong to an organization of comrades, walk, and fall in love---yet. Because at twenty-four, Mindy's future is very much ahead of her, wheelchair notwithstanding. Through Mindy's "SkyLog" fanzine and related emails, Seidel evokes Star Trek fandom around the turn of the millenium, but also creates a new and compelling science fictional universe, similar to what Rainbow Rowell's Fangirl  does for the Harry Potter fandom with "Simon Snow." Mindy is among the pioneers transitioning fandom from print to digital, boldly encountering like-minded individuals from the comfort of her chair behind the monito