Skip to main content

Books Read in June 2024

 June was a superlative reading month for me! I spent a lot of time reading outdoors (and indoors), and I finished several books for review, book clubs, and fun! I surpassed my reading goal for the year of 42 books, and I've read 10 out of 11 books I planned to read by authors of color (though I'll have to expand the goal for 25% of however many books I end up reading). Here's to many more nights of reading this summer!

Books Read in June 2024

  1. How to Align the Stars by Amy Dressler (LibraryThing Early Reviewers)--See my review here.
  2. To Sir Phillip, With Love by Julia Quinn--Maybe my favorite of the Bridgerton book series so far! I really loved the romance between Eloise and Phillip, and also Eloise's vivacious character, which is a little different from the show. Can't wait to see what they do with this on screen!
  3. The Bloodstained Key by Charity Rau (LibraryThing Early Reviewers)--See my review here.
  4. The Spirit Well (Lutesong #2) by R.K. Ashwick (LibraryThing Early Reviewers)--I enjoyed this mostly cozy fantasy that focuses on bard Emry (he/him), his researcher girlfriend Cal (she/her), and their spirit friend Aspen (they/them). It's a tight, mostly joyful story with a sweet almost Regency-style romance and lots of music and flowers, but there are some higher stakes than I'd usually qualify as a cozy and some existential threats to the mains. A fun and quick read for those looking for a fantasy escape that's not too gory or overly complicated.
  5. She's Up to No Good by Sarah Goodman Confino (Book club read)--Laugh-out-loud funny story about a grandmother who's up to no good and her beleaguered granddaughter that she cons into falling in love with the great nephew of the man she wasn't allowed to marry. Fun beach read especially if you love the Massachusetts seaside and meddling grandmothers--much of the content is flashbacks to Grandma Evelyn's youth in the 1950s to which Jenna's life in the present is a relatable counterpoint/frame (and contemporary Grandma Evelyn is even more of a hoot in her old age).
  6. The Edge of Lost by Kristina McMorris (Another book club read)--It takes too long to get to the Alcatraz part but a story focused in on the unusual life of one character who immigrates to the United States as a kid in the 1920s, and then we finally get a wild escape from Alcatraz. I'd read more if you're interested in the immigrant part and the Alcatraz would be a nice bonus. 
  7. Clean: The New Science of Skin by James Hamblin--Read my thoughts here.
  8. The Very Secret Society of Irregular Witches by Sangu Mandanna--This is the epitome of cozy fantasy and such an adorable found family story--now to read all of her books!
  9. Midnight in Siberia: A Train Journey into the Heart of Russia by David Greene (Yet another book club read)-- I'm enjoying reading a little more nonfiction. This one introduces you to several people in Russia that the journalist author meets on his Trans-Siberian railroad trip in 2013, so some insight into the mood and culture at that time.

Comments

curlygeek04 said…
I loved Sangu Mandanna's book and I'm eagerly awaiting the sequel. Unfortunately I don't think she has any other books. Glad you had a good reading month!

Popular posts from this blog

Books with Single-Word Titles

Happy Top Ten Tuesday over at That Artsy Reader Girl! Books with Single-Word Titles These are all my favorite books that I could think of with one-word titles. A lot of fantasy, a few nonfiction (minus subtitles) and Kindred , whether you consider it scifi or historical fiction. Also two portmanteaus using the word "bitter." I suppose it's a word that lends itself to amelioration. 1. Sweetbitter by Stephanie Danler 2. Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore 3. Fire by Kristin Cashore 4. Heartless by Marissa Meyer 5. Inheritance by Christopher Paolini 6. Meditations by Marcus Aurelius 7. Stoned by Aja Raden (has a subtitle) 8. Educated by Tara Westover 9. Fledgling by Octavia Butler 10. Kindred by Octavia Butler

Book Review: The Speed of Clouds by Miriam Seidel

Book Review: The Speed of Clouds by Miriam Seidel *To Be Released from New Door Books on April 10, 2018* Mindy Vogel is haunted by the future. In frequent daydreams, she toggles between her real, wheelchair-bound life and the adventurous life of her fanfic alter ego, SkyLog officer Kat Wanderer. She's haunted by all that Kat can do which she cannot---belong to an organization of comrades, walk, and fall in love---yet. Because at twenty-four, Mindy's future is very much ahead of her, wheelchair notwithstanding. Through Mindy's "SkyLog" fanzine and related emails, Seidel evokes Star Trek fandom around the turn of the millenium, but also creates a new and compelling science fictional universe, similar to what Rainbow Rowell's Fangirl  does for the Harry Potter fandom with "Simon Snow." Mindy is among the pioneers transitioning fandom from print to digital, boldly encountering like-minded individuals from the comfort of her chair behind the monito

Books On My Summer 2024 TBR

 I've been fairly successful with my reading goals so far this year (40 out of 42 read!), but I still have some goals to catch up on or exceed (books by authors of color and women in translation). I've also got my book club books, and I'll throw a few new and/or summery titles into the mix for inspiration. Hoping to read many of these outside, basking in beautiful weather! Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Books On My Summer 2024 TBR She's Up to No Good by Sara Goodman Confino--This is technically for a book club, although I probably won't be able to attend the meeting.  I've heard so many good things about this one, and it looks like a good summer read, so I'm planning to read it anyway. Midnight in Siberia: A Train Journey into the Heart of Russia by David Greene (Book club read)--I already have it out of the library, but have to get on this one! It sounds very interesting but nonfiction usually takes me a little longer. The Edge of Lost by Kristina McMorris (Book cl