Skip to main content

Book Review: How to Align the Stars by Amy Dressler OUT TODAY JUNE 4, 2024

How to Align the Stars by Amy Dressler (Shakespeare Project, Book 1)

Release Date: June 4, 2024

Bea is an astronomy professor at a small college in Washington State; Ben is the college's special collections librarian. They hate each other due to a misunderstanding when they were undergraduates at the same school. This contemporary retelling of Much Ado About Nothing originally seems like just that--one of Shakespeare's most romantically compelling and simultaneously troubling comedies translated into contemporary American academia. 

However, gradually, the book, told from the perspectives of Bea and her cousin Heron, reveals itself to be quite a lot more. This is not merely the modern retelling that the names and relationships suggest, but a deeper, feminist and humanist exploration of modern campus life for students and faculty, and a much-needed commentary and alternative ending to the Claudio/Hero storyline that rightfully haunts all feminist Shakespeare scholars.

Beatrice and Benedick are my favorite of all Shakespeare's lovers, but in this book, Heron actually became my favorite character. Her storyline gains a lot of depth, and I enjoyed the anxiety rep but also the courage with which Heron faces her fears and rewrites her own story. I loved watching Heron come into her own as a protagonist, surrounded by supportive cousin Beatrice, bff Maggie, and stepmother "Toni" (IYKYK). 

I was impressed that the author writes knowledgeably about subjects from astronomy to dressmaking (did you know diamonds rained on Saturn? I didn't), and so many moments and lines in this book rang true to me, from jargon: 

[We] should come back from the symposium with a plan for expanded 'cross-disciplinary curriculum development to enhance student learning outcomes'

 to more personal observations:

holding her stomach muscles in because a gal could only confront so many insecurities in one evening.

One particular observation, however, was quite jarring in its inaccuracy; the phrase "top drawah" is misidentified as a "Mid-Atlantic accent." As someone with an actual Mid-Atlantic accent, I have to point out that that phrasing is definitely a New England accent! The author is from Washington, as are her characters, and can perhaps be forgiven for a single slip 😜.

Overall, I found this retelling a fun and thoughtful read, which I actually enjoyed more and more as it continued and deviated from the Bard's plot. One quibble is that I almost would rather have it further removed from the Much Ado inspiration--like giving the characters different names and more different relationships to each other. As someone very familiar with the play, it's easy to draw parallels, which I'm sure is the intention, but for me, it actually distracted a bit from the nature of these characters and their relationships to each other. However, I understand that the similarities may have improved marketing opportunities, and others may find them a boon.

I would recommend How to Align the Stars to fans of Shakespeare and contemporary romance, and I also think a lot of academics would get a chuckle out of it. Going forward, I'm definitely going to assume "gal" is common in Washington State accents (kidding...unless it is?).

Received for review from LibraryThing; all opinions are my own.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Books On My Fall 2025 To-Read List

It's already mid-fall, so I've already read some of these, but I imagine I'll finish more before the fall is out! I'm reading quite widely these days--I seem to be reading 3-6 books at any given time, because of book clubs, yes, but also mood, format, and availability. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Books On My Fall 2025 To-Read List An Amateur Witch's Guide to Murder by K. Valentin--I received this ebook for review from LibraryThing, and I've never been quite so pleased with my choices! This was a hilarious ride from the get-go and crammed full of witchy Goth kid oddities and gore--a perfect Halloween read, and hopefully the beginning of a series! A Bridesmaid's Guide to Murder by Abigail Scott--Another ebook I received for review from LibraryThing--and whatever it is, books ending in "Guide to Murder" are killing it for me these days! (Let's not look too deep...) I'm not finished, but I'm loving it so far. Don't Forget to Write by Sara Go...

Cozy/Atmospheric Reads

I love this topic for rejoining Top Ten Tuesday!  I'm trying to lean in as much as possible to the coziness of fall and the upcoming winter season. I've done a lot better with that the last few years. Just because it isn't my favorite doesn't mean I can't enjoy it. Plus, some books I'm reading lately that are apropos for the Halloween atmosphere pervading my neighborhood this month at least.  Cozy/Atmospheric Reads Adenashire, a Cozy Fantasy Book Series by J. Penner--These books are the epitome of cozy fantasy with distinctive characters from a variety of creative fantasy backgrounds, including orcs, fennex, and gargoyles. The Bloodstained Key by Charity Rau--Not so cozy, but stiflingly atmospheric--a Gothic novel set inside a fairytale. The Unfortunate Side Effects of Heartbreak and Magic by Breanne Randall--Really captures the cozy atmosphere of a small town and a trove of magical family secrets. An Amateur Witch's Guide to Murder by K. Valentin--I don...

My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases

I'm trying to post but take it easy, so I'm including my reactions to some of the example buzzwords Jana used in the prompt, plus any more I think of. I had some very strong and immediate reactions, probably since these buzzwords are so common, especially in romance and the romantasy that's ultrapopular these days! Happy Top Ten Tuesday! My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases Phrase: "Morally grey characters" My Reaction: NO. Why?: I'm thoroughly sick of this trend, especially because it typically means "morally grey male love interest" which typically actually means "I fell in love with a serial killer BUT HE LOOOOVES ME." No. Don't get me wrong, I can and do enjoy genuinely nuanced characters and I do not expect anyone, much less a fictional character, to be perfect nor do I want them to be, but if I see that phrase, I think Rhysand, or, at best, Christian Grey, and I'm just not into that. (But if you are, you're ...