Skip to main content

Top Ten Favorite Books With Dragons

It's a Top Ten Tuesday freebie over at That Artsy Reader Girl. 

1. His Majesty's Dragon by Naomi Novik

I've read the first two books in the Temeraire series and LOVED them so far. Horatio Hornblower + dragons =awesome.

2. Eragon by Christopher Paolini

I read the entire Eragon series, and while I enjoyed some books more than others, I liked the series overall, and I couldn't resist the "what happens when a farm boy finds a dragon egg in a fantasy land" storyline.

3. The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien

I love the portrayal of Smaug and particularly his interactions with Bilbo. I wish we had gotten more dragons in Tolkien and maybe they weren't all evil.

4. The Silmarillion by J.R.R. Tolkien

We don't get any dragons in LOTR, but the Silmarillion has some nasty ones--the Fingon/Glaurung battle is one of my favorites.

5. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. Rowling

Of course there's Norbert in the first book, but there's more focus on dragons here in the scenes with Charlie and Harry vs. the Hungarian Horntail.

6. Dealing with Dragons by Patricia C. Wrede

I love the wise and kind dragon that takes in Princess Cimorene.

7. Into the Land of the Unicorns by Bruce Coville

Again,while there is a big bad dragon here, there are also some dragon allies.

8. Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin

The dragons aren't so much characters here, and they're barely in the first book, but there's still an amazing sense of awe (and history) around the dragons in Westeros and Estos.

9. Seraphina by Rachel Hartman

I like how dragons, and half-dragons, are done here and how they have their own culture. I still need to read Tess of the Road.

10. All of Robin Hobb's various books about various permutations of dragons

I've only read one of these, but I loved the concept of dragon life cycles and all that went with that.

In conclusion, there need to be more books with dragons.

Comments

lissa said…
I read #5 & 6 - love both series. I like that the dragon in
'dealing with dragons' is a female and their king can be male or female.

have a lovely day.
Thanks, Lissa! I had forgotten that; that's awesome!

Popular posts from this blog

My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases

I'm trying to post but take it easy, so I'm including my reactions to some of the example buzzwords Jana used in the prompt, plus any more I think of. I had some very strong and immediate reactions, probably since these buzzwords are so common, especially in romance and the romantasy that's ultrapopular these days! Happy Top Ten Tuesday! My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases Phrase: "Morally grey characters" My Reaction: NO. Why?: I'm thoroughly sick of this trend, especially because it typically means "morally grey male love interest" which typically actually means "I fell in love with a serial killer BUT HE LOOOOVES ME." No. Don't get me wrong, I can and do enjoy genuinely nuanced characters and I do not expect anyone, much less a fictional character, to be perfect nor do I want them to be, but if I see that phrase, I think Rhysand, or, at best, Christian Grey, and I'm just not into that. (But if you are, you're ...

Cozy Snowy Books and Books I Want for Hanukkah

 As usual, it's that time again to adjust the Top Ten Tuesday topic because tonight is the third night of Hanukkah. Hanukkah always starts on the 25th of Kislev but that sometimes needs some adjusting on the Gregorian calendar. Happy third night to my fellow celebrants, and happy almost-winter and/or winter holidays to everyone else! Since I also missed last week's topic, I've decided to share some cozy snowy reads--the topic was books set in snowy places but Jana added cozy and I like that as well-- to get into the wintery mood as well as some books I'd like for Hanukkah. Books Set in (Cozy) Snowy Places Love You a Latke by Amanda Elliott--This one is set during Hanukkah in Maine and NYC, so lots of cozy snow and wintry scenes in this evocative Hanukkah romance--and yes, it does involve a lot of food... The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis--Narnia is, of course, not an entirely nice place when the Pevensie children enter it, yet Mr. Tumnus, Mr. and Mrs....

Best Books I Read in 2025

 Woof. This was--I guess kind of an average reading year? Mostly good or decent reads, a few mediocre ones or ones that weren't for me. The books I'm including below are the ones I've thought about most this year--particularly The Feather Thief and Better Living Through Birding --it's hard to imagine I only read them in 2025! I guess I'm officially a nonfiction fan now. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Best Books I Read in 2025 Thistlefoot by GennaRose Nethercott--I loved Baba Yaga as a kid and I love this modern, Jewish take on the story The Feather Thief: Beauty, Obsession, and the Natural History Heist of the Century by Kirk W. Johnson--I'd recommend this to anyone. Just a fascinating story--I never knew how much I wanted to know about fly-tying and the mystery of dead nineteenth century birds Sunrise on the Reaping by Suzanne Collins--Another gut-wrenching Hunger Games triumph--and maybe unfortunately one more for our times  Lessons in Magic and Disaster by Charlie ...