Skip to main content

August Goals and a Giant Book Haul

First, I'm going to take a second to enjoy the fact that it's August and I've already completed my Goodreads challenge of 60 books. This is a first. I read 72 books all of last year, which was my record. I wonder how far I can go this year!
Next, onto August goals!

Bookish Goals for August

  1. Read at least 5 books, including some I already own
  2. Read at least one book for #WIT month (WIT stands for Women In Translation, and if you want to know more, check out Biblibio
  3. See how close I can get to finishing my summer TBR; I'm already well on my way!
A Giant Book Haul

Sunday morning, I decided to go the farmers' market, and then I decided to go used book shopping. I haven't had a really big book splurge for a while (or, well, since the Gaithersburg Book Festival in May), and while I've been getting rid of a lot of books, I've realized that, for me, I'm making room for different types of books in my life: books that are relevant to the person I am now instead of the person I used to be (which aren't drastically different people but for some reason do have dramatically different taste in books...like, you guys, I am actively seeking out poetry and nonfiction...who am I?). Besides, the local Goodwill has a surprisingly robust selection of books for jaw-droppingly cheap...and the local indie used bookstore is more expensive, but I like supporting them. And, still, way less expensive than a Barnes & Noble (which, of course, I also shop at sometimes :-P).

So, I got 16 books, possibly my biggest book haul ever, 9 of them for $4 total. Here's my haul:

Let me know what you think! Have you read and enjoyed any of these? The Red Tent and Eat, Pray, Love are old favorites that I didn't have copies of, but the rest are new to me.

Comments

Judy Krueger said…
Great haul! I have read Exit West, Eat Pray Love, The Red Tent, and Ex Libris. All good. Happy reading.
Thanks, Judy! I am looking forward to Exit West and Ex Libris for the first time!

Popular posts from this blog

My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases

I'm trying to post but take it easy, so I'm including my reactions to some of the example buzzwords Jana used in the prompt, plus any more I think of. I had some very strong and immediate reactions, probably since these buzzwords are so common, especially in romance and the romantasy that's ultrapopular these days! Happy Top Ten Tuesday! My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases Phrase: "Morally grey characters" My Reaction: NO. Why?: I'm thoroughly sick of this trend, especially because it typically means "morally grey male love interest" which typically actually means "I fell in love with a serial killer BUT HE LOOOOVES ME." No. Don't get me wrong, I can and do enjoy genuinely nuanced characters and I do not expect anyone, much less a fictional character, to be perfect nor do I want them to be, but if I see that phrase, I think Rhysand, or, at best, Christian Grey, and I'm just not into that. (But if you are, you're ...

Cozy Snowy Books and Books I Want for Hanukkah

 As usual, it's that time again to adjust the Top Ten Tuesday topic because tonight is the third night of Hanukkah. Hanukkah always starts on the 25th of Kislev but that sometimes needs some adjusting on the Gregorian calendar. Happy third night to my fellow celebrants, and happy almost-winter and/or winter holidays to everyone else! Since I also missed last week's topic, I've decided to share some cozy snowy reads--the topic was books set in snowy places but Jana added cozy and I like that as well-- to get into the wintery mood as well as some books I'd like for Hanukkah. Books Set in (Cozy) Snowy Places Love You a Latke by Amanda Elliott--This one is set during Hanukkah in Maine and NYC, so lots of cozy snow and wintry scenes in this evocative Hanukkah romance--and yes, it does involve a lot of food... The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis--Narnia is, of course, not an entirely nice place when the Pevensie children enter it, yet Mr. Tumnus, Mr. and Mrs....

Best Books I Read in 2025

 Woof. This was--I guess kind of an average reading year? Mostly good or decent reads, a few mediocre ones or ones that weren't for me. The books I'm including below are the ones I've thought about most this year--particularly The Feather Thief and Better Living Through Birding --it's hard to imagine I only read them in 2025! I guess I'm officially a nonfiction fan now. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Best Books I Read in 2025 Thistlefoot by GennaRose Nethercott--I loved Baba Yaga as a kid and I love this modern, Jewish take on the story The Feather Thief: Beauty, Obsession, and the Natural History Heist of the Century by Kirk W. Johnson--I'd recommend this to anyone. Just a fascinating story--I never knew how much I wanted to know about fly-tying and the mystery of dead nineteenth century birds Sunrise on the Reaping by Suzanne Collins--Another gut-wrenching Hunger Games triumph--and maybe unfortunately one more for our times  Lessons in Magic and Disaster by Charlie ...