Skip to main content

May Wrap-Up

I've been reading slower than usual these past couple months, so although I only finished a few books in May, two of them for book clubs, rest assured I've been doing a lot more reading! I have an upcoming post on some of the slower reading I've been doing soon.

Books I Finished This Month


  1. Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman
  2. Inheritance by Dani Shapiro
  3. The Imperfects by Amy Meyerson

Favorite Books This Month

This was an emotionally tough read. I feel like everybody's been talking about it, which is why I was so taken aback when it was totally not what I was expecting. Based on the description of Eleanor's quirks, I thought this would be about a woman who was on the spectrum or otherwise just socially awkward. Instead, I was blindsided when it turned out to be a story about trauma and PTSD, which although I loved the book, I wish I had known ahead, because it was deeply triggering for me. Eleanor's story is a beautiful but painful one, and I felt too close to the character to be slightly objective, but even though it pulled no punches, I truly loved it.




I was so excited to win this book in an Instagram giveaway from Diamonds in the Library. It came with the sweetest note and inscription from the author, Amy Meyerson. I knew I would love this one right away from the plot description: a family inherits what turns out to be a priceless, MISSING historical diamond. This was very reminiscent of The Nest, with family drama tied up in inheritance but where you can still like the characters, and, in my opinion, much more interesting due to the history of the Florentine diamond and all the historical and genealogical research the characters end up doing. Plus, they travel to Vienna, which is a seriously underutilized travel destination in American books! I was also pleased to discover the family in the book, the Millers, is Jewish, and the funeral and shiva rituals were comfortingly familiar to read. The ending is quite surprising, and imperfect, just like the Millers, but ultimately illuminates what's truly important. Highly recommend. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases

I'm trying to post but take it easy, so I'm including my reactions to some of the example buzzwords Jana used in the prompt, plus any more I think of. I had some very strong and immediate reactions, probably since these buzzwords are so common, especially in romance and the romantasy that's ultrapopular these days! Happy Top Ten Tuesday! My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases Phrase: "Morally grey characters" My Reaction: NO. Why?: I'm thoroughly sick of this trend, especially because it typically means "morally grey male love interest" which typically actually means "I fell in love with a serial killer BUT HE LOOOOVES ME." No. Don't get me wrong, I can and do enjoy genuinely nuanced characters and I do not expect anyone, much less a fictional character, to be perfect nor do I want them to be, but if I see that phrase, I think Rhysand, or, at best, Christian Grey, and I'm just not into that. (But if you are, you're ...

Cozy Snowy Books and Books I Want for Hanukkah

 As usual, it's that time again to adjust the Top Ten Tuesday topic because tonight is the third night of Hanukkah. Hanukkah always starts on the 25th of Kislev but that sometimes needs some adjusting on the Gregorian calendar. Happy third night to my fellow celebrants, and happy almost-winter and/or winter holidays to everyone else! Since I also missed last week's topic, I've decided to share some cozy snowy reads--the topic was books set in snowy places but Jana added cozy and I like that as well-- to get into the wintery mood as well as some books I'd like for Hanukkah. Books Set in (Cozy) Snowy Places Love You a Latke by Amanda Elliott--This one is set during Hanukkah in Maine and NYC, so lots of cozy snow and wintry scenes in this evocative Hanukkah romance--and yes, it does involve a lot of food... The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis--Narnia is, of course, not an entirely nice place when the Pevensie children enter it, yet Mr. Tumnus, Mr. and Mrs....

Best Books I Read in 2025

 Woof. This was--I guess kind of an average reading year? Mostly good or decent reads, a few mediocre ones or ones that weren't for me. The books I'm including below are the ones I've thought about most this year--particularly The Feather Thief and Better Living Through Birding --it's hard to imagine I only read them in 2025! I guess I'm officially a nonfiction fan now. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Best Books I Read in 2025 Thistlefoot by GennaRose Nethercott--I loved Baba Yaga as a kid and I love this modern, Jewish take on the story The Feather Thief: Beauty, Obsession, and the Natural History Heist of the Century by Kirk W. Johnson--I'd recommend this to anyone. Just a fascinating story--I never knew how much I wanted to know about fly-tying and the mystery of dead nineteenth century birds Sunrise on the Reaping by Suzanne Collins--Another gut-wrenching Hunger Games triumph--and maybe unfortunately one more for our times  Lessons in Magic and Disaster by Charlie ...