Skip to main content

Books on My Summer 2020 TBR

Happy Top Ten Tuesday over at That Artsy Reader Girl!

Like many of us, I've been adding TONS of books to my TBR lately with all the anti-racism reading lists. I also broke my own book buying rules for the year for a good cause and bought So You Want To Talk About Race by Ijeoma Oluo from Mahogany Books because I thought it was important to buy from a Black-owned bookstore local to me. I also bought The Untelling by Tayari Jones on Kindle, because I wanted to read it, she happens to be a Black author, and  Kindle is cheaper/doesn't take up space. Here's the charge, if you're interested (and c'mon this is an excuse to BUY BOOKS):



Books On My Summer 2020 TBR


  1. So You Want to Talk About Race by Ijeoma Oluo
  2. The Untelling by Tayari Jones
  3. Fleishman Is In Trouble by Taffy Brodesser-Akner (book club pick)
  4. The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley (other book club pick)
  5. By Sea & Sky by Antoine Bandele (preordered this on Kindle because sky pirates)
  6. Nocturne by Cheryl Mahoney (I read her blog and love her writing, so excited!)
  7. The First Mrs. Rothschild by Sara Aharoni
  8. The Price of Paradise by Susana Lopez Rubio
  9. Your Perfect Year by Charlotte Lucas
The last three were all free ebooks from Amazon on World Book Day, which means they're all translated from other languages! Have you read any of these? What do you think?

Comments

Lydia said…
I haven't read any of these books yet, but they're all going on my TBR. :)

My TTT .
lil desiqua said…
Aw man, so disappointed that I missed World Book Day, but looks like you picked up some great reads! I haven't read that one by Tayari Jones but I have An American Marriage, so hoping to read that one soon. Hope you enjoy all of these!
I hope all of these treat you well this summer!
Susan said…
I've seen some great anti-racist lists going around. Such a great resource!

Happy TTT!

Susan
www.blogginboutbooks.com
Donna said…
I have those same last 3 books, I can't wait to read them either!
Judy Krueger said…
I want to read The Untelling. Tayari Jones can do no wrong for me.
Everybody is reading So You Want To Talk About Race. I’ve also been thinking about breaking my book buying ban to get it. I hope you enjoy these!

Aj @ Read All The Things!
By Sea and Sky looks like it's going to be awesome!

Check out my TTT and my review of Sword and Pen by Rachel Caine
curlygeek04 said…
Tayari Jones is so good - I loved American Marriage and just read Silver Sparrow. I'll definitely be checking out the other books she's written. Like you I'm also reading a lot of books on the subject of race. White Fragility gave me a lot to think about and I recommend that one.

Popular posts from this blog

Books with Single-Word Titles

Happy Top Ten Tuesday over at That Artsy Reader Girl! Books with Single-Word Titles These are all my favorite books that I could think of with one-word titles. A lot of fantasy, a few nonfiction (minus subtitles) and Kindred , whether you consider it scifi or historical fiction. Also two portmanteaus using the word "bitter." I suppose it's a word that lends itself to amelioration. 1. Sweetbitter by Stephanie Danler 2. Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore 3. Fire by Kristin Cashore 4. Heartless by Marissa Meyer 5. Inheritance by Christopher Paolini 6. Meditations by Marcus Aurelius 7. Stoned by Aja Raden (has a subtitle) 8. Educated by Tara Westover 9. Fledgling by Octavia Butler 10. Kindred by Octavia Butler

Feliz Ano Nuevo!

Speaking of cultures and society, I leave for Spain on January 9. Instead of continuing as a book blog with a specific goal for number of books to read in a year, Space Station Mir will become a chronicle for my adventures in Spain. Expect a post for each new place that I visit, with pictures! I also plan to continue reviewing books, however I will not make a set goal for number of books to read this year. I do pledge myself to read at least one book in Spanish that was not assigned for a class. In terms of my goals for 2009, I was not diligent enough in keeping track of them. Looking back, I've fulfilled some of them and not others. The greatest trend in my reading this year, which marks a huge deviation for me, is that I've read more non-fiction than I think I've read any other year in my life. I've finally developed the ability to sustain interest in non-fiction other than biographies. For a while, biographies were the only non-fiction I ever read, with the exception

Most Recent Books I Did Not Finish

 I feel like I've been DNFing a fair amount lately, mostly with review books. I feel obligated to read review books longer than I would if they were books I just picked up on my own. That said, I have a caveat in my Book Review Policy  that if I feel I am not the right audience for the book, I won't post a review. I try to avoid that by only picking books I genuinely think I will enjoy, but of course I can't always predict that before I read. Also, while book clubs have been a great way to get exposed to books I wouldn't normally read, tastes will differ and every once in a while, I find a book I'm just not willing to finish. I also want to say no shade to the authors or anyone who enjoyed these books--they just weren't for me. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Most Recent Books I Did Not Finish 1. Caribbean Competitors by Poppy Minnix--LibraryThing review--This one sounded great and has a beautiful cover, but while the island setting was compelling, I just couldn't ge