Skip to main content

Books on My Summer 2020 TBR

Happy Top Ten Tuesday over at That Artsy Reader Girl!

Like many of us, I've been adding TONS of books to my TBR lately with all the anti-racism reading lists. I also broke my own book buying rules for the year for a good cause and bought So You Want To Talk About Race by Ijeoma Oluo from Mahogany Books because I thought it was important to buy from a Black-owned bookstore local to me. I also bought The Untelling by Tayari Jones on Kindle, because I wanted to read it, she happens to be a Black author, and  Kindle is cheaper/doesn't take up space. Here's the charge, if you're interested (and c'mon this is an excuse to BUY BOOKS):



Books On My Summer 2020 TBR


  1. So You Want to Talk About Race by Ijeoma Oluo
  2. The Untelling by Tayari Jones
  3. Fleishman Is In Trouble by Taffy Brodesser-Akner (book club pick)
  4. The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley (other book club pick)
  5. By Sea & Sky by Antoine Bandele (preordered this on Kindle because sky pirates)
  6. Nocturne by Cheryl Mahoney (I read her blog and love her writing, so excited!)
  7. The First Mrs. Rothschild by Sara Aharoni
  8. The Price of Paradise by Susana Lopez Rubio
  9. Your Perfect Year by Charlotte Lucas
The last three were all free ebooks from Amazon on World Book Day, which means they're all translated from other languages! Have you read any of these? What do you think?

Comments

Lydia said…
I haven't read any of these books yet, but they're all going on my TBR. :)

My TTT .
lil desiqua said…
Aw man, so disappointed that I missed World Book Day, but looks like you picked up some great reads! I haven't read that one by Tayari Jones but I have An American Marriage, so hoping to read that one soon. Hope you enjoy all of these!
I hope all of these treat you well this summer!
Susan said…
I've seen some great anti-racist lists going around. Such a great resource!

Happy TTT!

Susan
www.blogginboutbooks.com
Donna said…
I have those same last 3 books, I can't wait to read them either!
Judy Krueger said…
I want to read The Untelling. Tayari Jones can do no wrong for me.
Everybody is reading So You Want To Talk About Race. I’ve also been thinking about breaking my book buying ban to get it. I hope you enjoy these!

Aj @ Read All The Things!
By Sea and Sky looks like it's going to be awesome!

Check out my TTT and my review of Sword and Pen by Rachel Caine
curlygeek04 said…
Tayari Jones is so good - I loved American Marriage and just read Silver Sparrow. I'll definitely be checking out the other books she's written. Like you I'm also reading a lot of books on the subject of race. White Fragility gave me a lot to think about and I recommend that one.

Popular posts from this blog

My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases

I'm trying to post but take it easy, so I'm including my reactions to some of the example buzzwords Jana used in the prompt, plus any more I think of. I had some very strong and immediate reactions, probably since these buzzwords are so common, especially in romance and the romantasy that's ultrapopular these days! Happy Top Ten Tuesday! My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases Phrase: "Morally grey characters" My Reaction: NO. Why?: I'm thoroughly sick of this trend, especially because it typically means "morally grey male love interest" which typically actually means "I fell in love with a serial killer BUT HE LOOOOVES ME." No. Don't get me wrong, I can and do enjoy genuinely nuanced characters and I do not expect anyone, much less a fictional character, to be perfect nor do I want them to be, but if I see that phrase, I think Rhysand, or, at best, Christian Grey, and I'm just not into that. (But if you are, you're ...

Cozy Snowy Books and Books I Want for Hanukkah

 As usual, it's that time again to adjust the Top Ten Tuesday topic because tonight is the third night of Hanukkah. Hanukkah always starts on the 25th of Kislev but that sometimes needs some adjusting on the Gregorian calendar. Happy third night to my fellow celebrants, and happy almost-winter and/or winter holidays to everyone else! Since I also missed last week's topic, I've decided to share some cozy snowy reads--the topic was books set in snowy places but Jana added cozy and I like that as well-- to get into the wintery mood as well as some books I'd like for Hanukkah. Books Set in (Cozy) Snowy Places Love You a Latke by Amanda Elliott--This one is set during Hanukkah in Maine and NYC, so lots of cozy snow and wintry scenes in this evocative Hanukkah romance--and yes, it does involve a lot of food... The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis--Narnia is, of course, not an entirely nice place when the Pevensie children enter it, yet Mr. Tumnus, Mr. and Mrs....

Best Books I Read in 2025

 Woof. This was--I guess kind of an average reading year? Mostly good or decent reads, a few mediocre ones or ones that weren't for me. The books I'm including below are the ones I've thought about most this year--particularly The Feather Thief and Better Living Through Birding --it's hard to imagine I only read them in 2025! I guess I'm officially a nonfiction fan now. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Best Books I Read in 2025 Thistlefoot by GennaRose Nethercott--I loved Baba Yaga as a kid and I love this modern, Jewish take on the story The Feather Thief: Beauty, Obsession, and the Natural History Heist of the Century by Kirk W. Johnson--I'd recommend this to anyone. Just a fascinating story--I never knew how much I wanted to know about fly-tying and the mystery of dead nineteenth century birds Sunrise on the Reaping by Suzanne Collins--Another gut-wrenching Hunger Games triumph--and maybe unfortunately one more for our times  Lessons in Magic and Disaster by Charlie ...