Skip to main content

Slow Reading

These strange past few months, I've embraced a slower reading pace than in the past several years. Instead of  just blasting through fast-paced sci fi, YA fantasy, or contemporaries, I've added a group of slower reads that I now have the time, perhaps need, to process. This does mean that I'm again reading multiple books at the same time--which I have the bandwidth for again, like I did back when I was in school. Sometimes, I need to read about mindfulness before bed, practice a meditation, and journal my thoughts about it. Other times, I want to be reminded of what's happening in the world and what I can do about it as a writer, in a constructive way. Other times, I need to think about this world and my place in it, or experience what it was like for some nineteenth century women.

Here are my current, ongoing, "slow reads," some of which I've been reading for months. Let me know what you think!


  1. Wherever You Go, There You Are by Jon Kabat-Zinn
  2. Middlemarch by George Eliot
  3. Walden by Henry David Thoreau
  4. Never Say You Can't Survive by Charlie Jane Anders

Comments

Astilbe said…
There's definitely something to be said for slow reading!

Here is our Top Ten Tuesday. (I didn't see a Top Ten Tuesday post from you this week?)
Thanks! @Astilbe, my TTT this week is here http://mirisaspacestation.blogspot.com/2020/06/books-ive-added-to-my-tbr-and-forgotten.html

Popular posts from this blog

My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases

I'm trying to post but take it easy, so I'm including my reactions to some of the example buzzwords Jana used in the prompt, plus any more I think of. I had some very strong and immediate reactions, probably since these buzzwords are so common, especially in romance and the romantasy that's ultrapopular these days! Happy Top Ten Tuesday! My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases Phrase: "Morally grey characters" My Reaction: NO. Why?: I'm thoroughly sick of this trend, especially because it typically means "morally grey male love interest" which typically actually means "I fell in love with a serial killer BUT HE LOOOOVES ME." No. Don't get me wrong, I can and do enjoy genuinely nuanced characters and I do not expect anyone, much less a fictional character, to be perfect nor do I want them to be, but if I see that phrase, I think Rhysand, or, at best, Christian Grey, and I'm just not into that. (But if you are, you're ...

Cozy Snowy Books and Books I Want for Hanukkah

 As usual, it's that time again to adjust the Top Ten Tuesday topic because tonight is the third night of Hanukkah. Hanukkah always starts on the 25th of Kislev but that sometimes needs some adjusting on the Gregorian calendar. Happy third night to my fellow celebrants, and happy almost-winter and/or winter holidays to everyone else! Since I also missed last week's topic, I've decided to share some cozy snowy reads--the topic was books set in snowy places but Jana added cozy and I like that as well-- to get into the wintery mood as well as some books I'd like for Hanukkah. Books Set in (Cozy) Snowy Places Love You a Latke by Amanda Elliott--This one is set during Hanukkah in Maine and NYC, so lots of cozy snow and wintry scenes in this evocative Hanukkah romance--and yes, it does involve a lot of food... The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis--Narnia is, of course, not an entirely nice place when the Pevensie children enter it, yet Mr. Tumnus, Mr. and Mrs....

Best Books I Read in 2025

 Woof. This was--I guess kind of an average reading year? Mostly good or decent reads, a few mediocre ones or ones that weren't for me. The books I'm including below are the ones I've thought about most this year--particularly The Feather Thief and Better Living Through Birding --it's hard to imagine I only read them in 2025! I guess I'm officially a nonfiction fan now. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Best Books I Read in 2025 Thistlefoot by GennaRose Nethercott--I loved Baba Yaga as a kid and I love this modern, Jewish take on the story The Feather Thief: Beauty, Obsession, and the Natural History Heist of the Century by Kirk W. Johnson--I'd recommend this to anyone. Just a fascinating story--I never knew how much I wanted to know about fly-tying and the mystery of dead nineteenth century birds Sunrise on the Reaping by Suzanne Collins--Another gut-wrenching Hunger Games triumph--and maybe unfortunately one more for our times  Lessons in Magic and Disaster by Charlie ...