Skip to main content

Weekly Wrap-Up

Since I've enjoyed doing monthly wrap-ups for a couple of years now, and I have more free time this summer, I'm going to try out weekly wrap-ups. The format may change or I may stop if they get too repetitive. Let me know what you think!

What I'm Reading This Week


  1. I'm still reading Middlemarch by George Eliot. I'm a little more than halfway through. It's been a while since I read a nineteenth century novel, so it's a bit slow-going, but I'm loving it! It's got the omniscient, occasionally snarky narrator that I love from classic nineteenth century novels. While most of her characters are landed gentry like in Jane Austen novels, she's also got some characters in more precarious or lower class financial situations (ugh, trade!). There's also some discussion of agricultural labor reform that reminds me of Elizabeth Gaskell's focus on industrial labor reform, though at least so far, it's not as central. What I love the most about Eliot's writing is her brilliant extended metaphors, some of which read incredibly relevant today:
"Prejudices, like odorous bodies, have a double existence both solid and subtle--solid as the pyramids, subtle as the twentieth echo of an echo, or as the memory of hyacinths which once scented the darkness."
2. I've been reading and rereading some poetry as a comfort. I reread Mary Oliver's Blue Horses, which I own, twice. There's something so comforting in her writings, primarily about nature. I've also read a sample of her collection Devotions and read Blue Iris out of the library in the past. I wish I had more of her books. I'm also reading and rereading my former co-worker's poetry collection, My People, My People, My G-d, on his spiritual journey as a Black man in America. In addition to being a professor, he's also a minister.


What I Watched This Week

1. This week, my husband and I watched the documentary 13th on Netflix, about the broken and racist prison system in America. It wasn't my idea, as I'm not typically a huge fan of documentaries, but I foresee a lot more of them in my future. Michelle Alexander, author of The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness, was interviewed prominently, and I definitely intend to read her book.

2. I also watched The Hate U Give, based on the book by Angie Thomas. It was streaming free on multiple platforms this week. I highly recommend it, even though it was hard to watch, because it so clearly shows the human toll of what is and has been happening to Black and other people as a result of police brutality in our country.

Other Things That Happened This Week

1. We refinanced our mortgage

I'd been meaning to do this since rates started going down with the pandemic and now that I am (unplanned) out of work for the summer, since my summer job didn't end up happening, and I'm not getting any bites on online summer jobs that are legit or worth the money (SmarThinking offers $11/hour for master's degrees, $12 for PhDs. No, I'm not joking). I did some research, and we ended up getting 3.373%, which is much better than our current 4.5%, so we're taking it. There are better rates out there, but because of our (my) current financial situation, they wouldn't offer them to us because of the debt-to-income ratio, and everyone said the situation is really volatile right now, so I decided to take what we can get. If you have a mortgage, I do really recommend refinancing now and shopping around. There seem to be a lot of good options and most of the mortgage loan officers I talked to seemed pretty conscientious and told me to take the best rate I could get anywhere; I even had at least one outright tell me to take someone else's rate.

2. We lost our dog in a closet

We had some fun yesterday when we couldn't find one of our dogs. I seriously wondered if he had escaped into a pocket dimension! We checked outside, every room in the house, calling his name, I even went around shaking a bag of treats--nothing. Finally, we thought we heard a noise, so I opened one of our closets (that my husband had already checked) and out he came! Just having a chill nap under the shoe rack, I guess.

3. I had a book club meeting on Dani Shapiro's Inheritance

One of my two book clubs met on Zoom this week to discuss Inheritance by Dani Shapiro. All of us (I think) really liked it, and I would be interested in reading her other memoirs and novels. She's a really lyrical, introspective writer, and as somebody put it, it's not just about her; her personal concerns about identity and belonging have universal themes. I thought Shapiro was really brave in confronting her unexpected genetic heritage and reckoning with what she felt as the loss or change of her Jewish identity--and it did change how she related to some members of her family and not others. She gained a new family as well, albeit with fraught ethical considerations.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Books with Single-Word Titles

Happy Top Ten Tuesday over at That Artsy Reader Girl! Books with Single-Word Titles These are all my favorite books that I could think of with one-word titles. A lot of fantasy, a few nonfiction (minus subtitles) and Kindred , whether you consider it scifi or historical fiction. Also two portmanteaus using the word "bitter." I suppose it's a word that lends itself to amelioration. 1. Sweetbitter by Stephanie Danler 2. Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore 3. Fire by Kristin Cashore 4. Heartless by Marissa Meyer 5. Inheritance by Christopher Paolini 6. Meditations by Marcus Aurelius 7. Stoned by Aja Raden (has a subtitle) 8. Educated by Tara Westover 9. Fledgling by Octavia Butler 10. Kindred by Octavia Butler

Feliz Ano Nuevo!

Speaking of cultures and society, I leave for Spain on January 9. Instead of continuing as a book blog with a specific goal for number of books to read in a year, Space Station Mir will become a chronicle for my adventures in Spain. Expect a post for each new place that I visit, with pictures! I also plan to continue reviewing books, however I will not make a set goal for number of books to read this year. I do pledge myself to read at least one book in Spanish that was not assigned for a class. In terms of my goals for 2009, I was not diligent enough in keeping track of them. Looking back, I've fulfilled some of them and not others. The greatest trend in my reading this year, which marks a huge deviation for me, is that I've read more non-fiction than I think I've read any other year in my life. I've finally developed the ability to sustain interest in non-fiction other than biographies. For a while, biographies were the only non-fiction I ever read, with the exception

Most Recent Books I Did Not Finish

 I feel like I've been DNFing a fair amount lately, mostly with review books. I feel obligated to read review books longer than I would if they were books I just picked up on my own. That said, I have a caveat in my Book Review Policy  that if I feel I am not the right audience for the book, I won't post a review. I try to avoid that by only picking books I genuinely think I will enjoy, but of course I can't always predict that before I read. Also, while book clubs have been a great way to get exposed to books I wouldn't normally read, tastes will differ and every once in a while, I find a book I'm just not willing to finish. I also want to say no shade to the authors or anyone who enjoyed these books--they just weren't for me. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Most Recent Books I Did Not Finish 1. Caribbean Competitors by Poppy Minnix--LibraryThing review--This one sounded great and has a beautiful cover, but while the island setting was compelling, I just couldn't ge