Skip to main content

Books With the Word "Wish" In the Title

 My Shakespeare professor once asked us to open our "Complete Works of" tomes and put our finger down randomly on a word. Then, we would write an essay on how that word functioned in a play of our choice. My word was "wish," and it has remained a special word to me ever since. What is the power of a wish? Some characters seem to always succeed in making their wishes come true, while some never do, and some are in between. I've added books that I wish to read someday--we'll see how much of that comes true. So, thank you for letting us choose the word for this Top Ten Tuesday topic over at That Artsy Reader Girl!

Books With the Word "Wish" In the Title (That I Wish To Someday Read)

  1. The Last Wish by Andrzej Sapkowski, trans. Danusia Stok (The Witcher #0.5)--Ok, this one I have already read, but I couldn't leave it off!
  2. The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories #1) by Chris Colfer--I was interested in this even before I realized it was written by the actor who played Kurt (obvs. the best character) on Glee.
  3. As You Wish: Inconceivable Tales from the Making of The Princess Bride by Cary Elwes--Need to read for millenial reasons, obviously.
  4. The Wishing Game by Meg Shaffer--Books plus kind of sounds like The Westing Game for adults.
  5. A Universe of Wishes: A We Need Diverse Books Anthology--A lot of authors I've been meaning to read--I've started to get tired of YA recently, but these might be bite-size enough to enjoy!

Comments

Nice choice for this week's TTT POST!!
Karis DeHaven said…
My book club is reading "As You Wish" next month! I highly recommend it in audiobook form–Cary Elwes himself narrates it and it's a great experience. This coming from someone who hates audiobooks!
@CaptivatedReader--Thanks!

@Karis--Oh wow, that is good to know! I will definitely be checking out the audiobook!
Marianne said…
That's a great way to find a topic. I will remember that the next time.
I just checked my reading list and only found four with the word wish in the title. However, I really like that you did the five you did, I shall remember that, as well. Thanks for the ideas.
And thank you very much for visiting my post:
https://momobookblog.blogspot.com/2025/04/books-with-word-history-in-title.html
Nice to meet you.

Popular posts from this blog

Books I Loved But Never Reviewed

 Reviewed is a strong word. I've mostly stopped doing formal book reviews except for author requests and/or when I feel like it, but I usually give some description and or opinions of books I'm reading, usually multiple times, through weekly and monthly wrap-ups. I do find that it' s more difficult to review my absolute favorite books than books I either disliked or engaged with strongly on an intellectual rather than emotional level. For example, I rarely review poetry beyond "I loved it'" or "Meh." It's much easier to explain criticism of vocabulary usage or a plot device than explain how the book felt like a snug little snow globe. So, for this Top Ten Tuesday , I'm listing books that I loved, didn't give a formal review, and (I think) didn't discuss too much.  Books I Loved But Never Reviewed A Closed and Common Orbit by Becky Chambers Tess of the Road by Rachel Hartman We Are Okay by Nina LaCour The Broken Earth Trilogy by N.K. J...

Cozy Snowy Books and Books I Want for Hanukkah

 As usual, it's that time again to adjust the Top Ten Tuesday topic because tonight is the third night of Hanukkah. Hanukkah always starts on the 25th of Kislev but that sometimes needs some adjusting on the Gregorian calendar. Happy third night to my fellow celebrants, and happy almost-winter and/or winter holidays to everyone else! Since I also missed last week's topic, I've decided to share some cozy snowy reads--the topic was books set in snowy places but Jana added cozy and I like that as well-- to get into the wintery mood as well as some books I'd like for Hanukkah. Books Set in (Cozy) Snowy Places Love You a Latke by Amanda Elliott--This one is set during Hanukkah in Maine and NYC, so lots of cozy snow and wintry scenes in this evocative Hanukkah romance--and yes, it does involve a lot of food... The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis--Narnia is, of course, not an entirely nice place when the Pevensie children enter it, yet Mr. Tumnus, Mr. and Mrs....

Top Ten 2015 Releases I Meant To Get To But Didn't

Happy Top Ten Tuesday over at the Broke and the Bookish! I had to go back to my anticipated books of 2015 to remember this! Looks like the winners are: 1. The Mechanical by Ian Tregellis 2. Get in Trouble by Kelly Link 3. The Boy Who Lost Fairyland by Catherynne M. Valente 4. Karen Memory by Elizabeth Bear 5. Armada by Ernest Cline 6. The Fifth Season by N.K. Jemisin