Skip to main content

Atmospheric Books

Happy Top Ten Tuesday! That Artsy Reader Girl/The Novelry shared a description for atmospheric books:

“A novel feels atmospheric when the setting and the narrative are deeply involved with one another; when characters and plot are physically embedded in their surroundings, and a near-tangible mood lifts from the pages and wraps itself around the reader.” 

 I certainly feel this is true of the books listed below. Happy atmospheric reading!

  1. The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón--This books and its sequels feel intimately entwined with the streets and surrealist architecture of Barcelona--highly recommend!
  2. The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern--This book is practically all atmosphere.
  3. The Stars Are Legion by Kameron Hurley--This book is a journey through the (literal) bowels of a living planet--the book is inextricable from the setting, often feeling claustrophobic or, once beyond the planet, exposed.
  4. The City in the Middle of the Night by Charlie Jane Anders--The story is intimately tied to the physical setting of the tidally locked planet, but even more so constrained by the performance of time in a place where the sun never sets (or never rises).
  5. Seasparrow (Graceling #5) by Kristin Cashore--I love all the Graceling books, but this one is most tied to its oceanic and Arctic settings. The author based it on her own trip to the Arctic Circle as well as historical Arctic explorers, and it's reflected in every detail of the book. This really added a new element to love for me!
  6. The Cloisters by Katy Hays--I love the Cloisters, so I was excited when I read the review for this book in The Washington Post--and it did not disappoint. This is the perfect detailed, modern Gothic mystery, like an adult version of From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler (setting-wise) mixed up with The Secret History (character- and plot-wise), and as someone in my book club put it "[you will feel] like [you are] clacking down the halls of the Cloisters."
  7. Court of Venom by Kristin Burchell--This one is set in an insular, sinisterly magical, desert oasis, creeping with poisonous plants--a great and unusual atmospheric read!

Comments

Lydia said…
These all sound quite atmospheric!

Here is my Top Ten Tuesday post.
Susan said…
THE NIGHT CIRCUS is a popular choice today and no wonder, it's very atmospheric!

Happy TTT!
curlygeek04 said…
Some great suggestions here. Court of Venom sounds intriguing, and I really need to read the Graceling books.
Rebecca said…
Well now I want to read The Cloisters by Katy Hays!

Popular posts from this blog

Books On My Fall 2025 To-Read List

It's already mid-fall, so I've already read some of these, but I imagine I'll finish more before the fall is out! I'm reading quite widely these days--I seem to be reading 3-6 books at any given time, because of book clubs, yes, but also mood, format, and availability. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Books On My Fall 2025 To-Read List An Amateur Witch's Guide to Murder by K. Valentin--I received this ebook for review from LibraryThing, and I've never been quite so pleased with my choices! This was a hilarious ride from the get-go and crammed full of witchy Goth kid oddities and gore--a perfect Halloween read, and hopefully the beginning of a series! A Bridesmaid's Guide to Murder by Abigail Scott--Another ebook I received for review from LibraryThing--and whatever it is, books ending in "Guide to Murder" are killing it for me these days! (Let's not look too deep...) I'm not finished, but I'm loving it so far. Don't Forget to Write by Sara Go...

Cozy/Atmospheric Reads

I love this topic for rejoining Top Ten Tuesday!  I'm trying to lean in as much as possible to the coziness of fall and the upcoming winter season. I've done a lot better with that the last few years. Just because it isn't my favorite doesn't mean I can't enjoy it. Plus, some books I'm reading lately that are apropos for the Halloween atmosphere pervading my neighborhood this month at least.  Cozy/Atmospheric Reads Adenashire, a Cozy Fantasy Book Series by J. Penner--These books are the epitome of cozy fantasy with distinctive characters from a variety of creative fantasy backgrounds, including orcs, fennex, and gargoyles. The Bloodstained Key by Charity Rau--Not so cozy, but stiflingly atmospheric--a Gothic novel set inside a fairytale. The Unfortunate Side Effects of Heartbreak and Magic by Breanne Randall--Really captures the cozy atmosphere of a small town and a trove of magical family secrets. An Amateur Witch's Guide to Murder by K. Valentin--I don...

My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases

I'm trying to post but take it easy, so I'm including my reactions to some of the example buzzwords Jana used in the prompt, plus any more I think of. I had some very strong and immediate reactions, probably since these buzzwords are so common, especially in romance and the romantasy that's ultrapopular these days! Happy Top Ten Tuesday! My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases Phrase: "Morally grey characters" My Reaction: NO. Why?: I'm thoroughly sick of this trend, especially because it typically means "morally grey male love interest" which typically actually means "I fell in love with a serial killer BUT HE LOOOOVES ME." No. Don't get me wrong, I can and do enjoy genuinely nuanced characters and I do not expect anyone, much less a fictional character, to be perfect nor do I want them to be, but if I see that phrase, I think Rhysand, or, at best, Christian Grey, and I'm just not into that. (But if you are, you're ...