Skip to main content

Books I'm Looking Forward To in the Second Half of 2024

I'm surprised how many upcoming books I actually am aware of--a few came to mind right away, and for some I had to check Goodreads, but even though I usually read the backlist, turns out I am pretty tuned in this year! Looking forward to seeing everyone else's picks too--Happy Top Ten Tuesday!

Books I'm Looking Forward To in the Second Half of 2024

  1.  Dreams of Ice and Shadow by Kathryn Troy--July 23, 2024--I've been reading the eARC slowly and helping with the social media build-up to this release for the second in the Frostbite trilogy--I just love Troy's lush, witty writing and intense characters!
  2. My Salty Mary by Cynthia Hand, Brodi Ashton, and Jodi Meadows--August 20, 2024--I've been wanting to read their irreverent alternate histories and so excited to see one coming about one of my fav women pirates, Mary Read!
  3. Until Next Summer by Ali Brady--July 9, 2024--Looks like a fun summer read, and you don't see too many novels about summer camp!
  4. The Book of Witching by C.J. Cooke--October 8, 2024--Not a book I would normally read since it's about a family tragedy and advertised as horror but it's also about the history of witches in the Orkneys, which intrigues me. 
  5. The Night Ends with Fire by K.X. Song--July 2, 2024--"Sweeping fantasy adventure inspired by the legend of Mulan" and I'm sold! *Edited to Add*
  6. The Spellshop by Sarah Beth Durst--July 9, 2024--Refugees from a "great library" setting up a spellshop in a "cottagecore" fantasy sounds adorable!
  7. A Witch's Guide to Magical Innkeeping by Sangu Mandanna--December 24, 2024--She is having quite a year!
  8. A Sorceress Comes to Call by T. Kingfisher--August 6, 2024--I love fairy tale retellings, Goose Girl, and T. Kingfisher (but I hope this one isn't too scary!)
  9. Magical Meet Cute by Jean Meltzer--August 27, 2024--A Golem romance by Jean Meltzer--already preordered!
  10. The Bright Sword by Lev Grossman--July 16, 2024--I'll always give Lev Grossman a whirl after the Magicians, and I'm a bit of a connoisseur of Arthurian fiction!

Comments

Stephen said…
The Mulan-inspired one should be good! Fair bit of SF on my list if you're interested.
Lydia said…
The Night Ends With Fire sounds great.
Susan said…
I love the Jane/Mary series and I'm especially excited for this pirate story. It sounds like so much fun! I hope you enjoy all these.

Happy TTT!
I really need to get to the Jane and Mary books and one about pirates? Sounds so up my alley!
Ellie said…
I've read The Lighthouse Witches by C.J. Cooke and I think their style is much more gothic horror than anything too scary.

Popular posts from this blog

My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases

I'm trying to post but take it easy, so I'm including my reactions to some of the example buzzwords Jana used in the prompt, plus any more I think of. I had some very strong and immediate reactions, probably since these buzzwords are so common, especially in romance and the romantasy that's ultrapopular these days! Happy Top Ten Tuesday! My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases Phrase: "Morally grey characters" My Reaction: NO. Why?: I'm thoroughly sick of this trend, especially because it typically means "morally grey male love interest" which typically actually means "I fell in love with a serial killer BUT HE LOOOOVES ME." No. Don't get me wrong, I can and do enjoy genuinely nuanced characters and I do not expect anyone, much less a fictional character, to be perfect nor do I want them to be, but if I see that phrase, I think Rhysand, or, at best, Christian Grey, and I'm just not into that. (But if you are, you're ...

Cozy/Atmospheric Reads

I love this topic for rejoining Top Ten Tuesday!  I'm trying to lean in as much as possible to the coziness of fall and the upcoming winter season. I've done a lot better with that the last few years. Just because it isn't my favorite doesn't mean I can't enjoy it. Plus, some books I'm reading lately that are apropos for the Halloween atmosphere pervading my neighborhood this month at least.  Cozy/Atmospheric Reads Adenashire, a Cozy Fantasy Book Series by J. Penner--These books are the epitome of cozy fantasy with distinctive characters from a variety of creative fantasy backgrounds, including orcs, fennex, and gargoyles. The Bloodstained Key by Charity Rau--Not so cozy, but stiflingly atmospheric--a Gothic novel set inside a fairytale. The Unfortunate Side Effects of Heartbreak and Magic by Breanne Randall--Really captures the cozy atmosphere of a small town and a trove of magical family secrets. An Amateur Witch's Guide to Murder by K. Valentin--I don...

Books On My Fall 2025 To-Read List

It's already mid-fall, so I've already read some of these, but I imagine I'll finish more before the fall is out! I'm reading quite widely these days--I seem to be reading 3-6 books at any given time, because of book clubs, yes, but also mood, format, and availability. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Books On My Fall 2025 To-Read List An Amateur Witch's Guide to Murder by K. Valentin--I received this ebook for review from LibraryThing, and I've never been quite so pleased with my choices! This was a hilarious ride from the get-go and crammed full of witchy Goth kid oddities and gore--a perfect Halloween read, and hopefully the beginning of a series! A Bridesmaid's Guide to Murder by Abigail Scott--Another ebook I received for review from LibraryThing--and whatever it is, books ending in "Guide to Murder" are killing it for me these days! (Let's not look too deep...) I'm not finished, but I'm loving it so far. Don't Forget to Write by Sara Go...