Skip to main content

Favorite Books by Black Authors

As a person with white privilege, I support my Black brothers and sisters' right to live freely and free of life-threatening prejudice from police and others. Plenty of people are posting links to activism and places to donate who know much more about that than I do (though I am listening and learning), but I do know about books, and I've been making a point to read more books by Black writers and writers of color in the last several years. All that's done is opened me up to even more awesome books! Here are some of my favorites by Black authors and I'd love to hear yours in the comments:


Favorite Books by Black Authors


  1. The Fifth Season by N.K. Jemisin
  2. Dawn by Octavia Butler
  3. Kindred by Octavia Butler
  4. The Best of All Possible Worlds by Karen Lord
  5. The Good Lord Bird by James McBride
  6. The Cooking Gene by Michael Twitty
  7. How Long 'til Black Future Month? by N.K. Jemisin
  8. An American Marriage by Tayari Jones
  9. The Color of Love by Marra B. Gad
  10. Purple Hibiscus by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie




Update:

I wanted to add more to my original post, since some of these authors, like N.K. Jemisin and Octavia Butler, are very well known, and others not so much.

First, I particularly want to highlight Michael Twitty, who I know as my former Hebrew school teacher, but who has blown up in the culinary world as a food historian, which is so freaking cool, and he brings the same thoroughness and passion to his writing as he did to teaching Hebrew school. Each essay is so well researched and, while I learned so much, he overall gave me a completely new perspective of the impact of slavery on African Americans--namely, how it robbed them of their family and cultural history and sense of identity, which African Americans still struggle with today. Plus, he clearly illustrates how African influences shaped the cultural foods of the American South, and he just makes me keep wanting to learn more. 

Second, I want to highlight The Color of Love by Marra B. Gad, also an African American Jew. I read her book in one day and it hit me hard. She rises above petty racism and cruelty in such an inspiring way, and writes it beautifully too. 

Plus, I realized I had a couple more books I wanted to add:

11. My People, My People, My G-d by Donald Marbury (dash mine)

I worked with Professor Marbury, and not only is he an incredibly kind, genuine person, but his poetry is incredible. I've attended a couple of his readings, and as he says, he has been gifted with his voice, but also his poetry is a raw, aching spiritual journey of a devout Black man in America, and his work deserves to be cherished in the canon of American poetry. You can buy it here

12. The Art of Showing Up by Rachel W. Miller

I'm literally in the middle of reading this right now, but I've been following Miller's writing and blog for years, and she's practical, insightful, and no-nonsense. This isn't only about showing up for others, but also about showing up for yourself emotionally and building relationships in the context of friendship, which we do not as a society write, talk about, or value nearly enough. You can buy it here

Comments

Judy Krueger said…
I like your list. My next foray will be to get into Octavia Butler. I have several of her books on my shelves.
Judy Krueger said…
Also, I just reviewed N K Jemisin's latest, The City We Became on my blog.
http://keepthewisdom.blogspot.com/2020/06/the-city-we-became.html
R's Rue said…
Thank you for this list. Adding to my TBR list.
www.rsrue.blogspot.com

Popular posts from this blog

My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases

I'm trying to post but take it easy, so I'm including my reactions to some of the example buzzwords Jana used in the prompt, plus any more I think of. I had some very strong and immediate reactions, probably since these buzzwords are so common, especially in romance and the romantasy that's ultrapopular these days! Happy Top Ten Tuesday! My Reactions to Common Book Buzzwords or Phrases Phrase: "Morally grey characters" My Reaction: NO. Why?: I'm thoroughly sick of this trend, especially because it typically means "morally grey male love interest" which typically actually means "I fell in love with a serial killer BUT HE LOOOOVES ME." No. Don't get me wrong, I can and do enjoy genuinely nuanced characters and I do not expect anyone, much less a fictional character, to be perfect nor do I want them to be, but if I see that phrase, I think Rhysand, or, at best, Christian Grey, and I'm just not into that. (But if you are, you're ...

Cozy Snowy Books and Books I Want for Hanukkah

 As usual, it's that time again to adjust the Top Ten Tuesday topic because tonight is the third night of Hanukkah. Hanukkah always starts on the 25th of Kislev but that sometimes needs some adjusting on the Gregorian calendar. Happy third night to my fellow celebrants, and happy almost-winter and/or winter holidays to everyone else! Since I also missed last week's topic, I've decided to share some cozy snowy reads--the topic was books set in snowy places but Jana added cozy and I like that as well-- to get into the wintery mood as well as some books I'd like for Hanukkah. Books Set in (Cozy) Snowy Places Love You a Latke by Amanda Elliott--This one is set during Hanukkah in Maine and NYC, so lots of cozy snow and wintry scenes in this evocative Hanukkah romance--and yes, it does involve a lot of food... The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis--Narnia is, of course, not an entirely nice place when the Pevensie children enter it, yet Mr. Tumnus, Mr. and Mrs....

Best Books I Read in 2025

 Woof. This was--I guess kind of an average reading year? Mostly good or decent reads, a few mediocre ones or ones that weren't for me. The books I'm including below are the ones I've thought about most this year--particularly The Feather Thief and Better Living Through Birding --it's hard to imagine I only read them in 2025! I guess I'm officially a nonfiction fan now. Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Best Books I Read in 2025 Thistlefoot by GennaRose Nethercott--I loved Baba Yaga as a kid and I love this modern, Jewish take on the story The Feather Thief: Beauty, Obsession, and the Natural History Heist of the Century by Kirk W. Johnson--I'd recommend this to anyone. Just a fascinating story--I never knew how much I wanted to know about fly-tying and the mystery of dead nineteenth century birds Sunrise on the Reaping by Suzanne Collins--Another gut-wrenching Hunger Games triumph--and maybe unfortunately one more for our times  Lessons in Magic and Disaster by Charlie ...