Skip to main content

Weird or Funny Things I've Googled Thanks to a Book

Oh wow, I love this week's Top Ten Tuesday topic from Astilbe @ Long and Short Reviews. This is probably a long list for me! I haven't exactly been keeping track though, so I had to check my search history to jog my memory. I also really appreciate that it's easy to look this up when you're reading an ebook--you don't even have to leave the book! I remember when my first grade teacher told me that her mother-in-law used to read with a dictionary and an atlas within convenient reach, and I always think of that when I highlight a phrase on my Kindle or reach over my paperback to grab my phone and type into Google.


Weird or Funny Things I've Googled Thanks to a Book 

  1. Fire Island--I was reading Bad Summer People which takes place on Fire Island. I thought it was in Maine, but based on events in the book, I looked up to discover is, in fact, in New York.
  2. Mulcted--Phrase Richard Burton used in one of his letters that was shared in River of the Gods...it means to be fined or extorted.
  3. Italian city states/end of Roman Empire--I looked this up because the setting for Megan Van Dyke's Captive of the Stolen Empire reminded me of this time period.
  4. Mountain lion shifters--I looked this up because The Fast and the Furies by Luna Joya is the only series where I've ever heard of this, but there's a whole list on Goodreads, specifically in romance?!
  5. Blue People of Kentucky--looked this up because I wanted to compare the real history with what I read in The Last Blue and The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek.
  6. Defalcations--a word I looked up from Murder at the Vicarage by Agatha Christie--it means embezzlements.

Comments

Lydia said…
The blue people of Kentucky were so interesting!

Here is my Top Ten Tuesday.

Popular posts from this blog

Books I Loved But Never Reviewed

 Reviewed is a strong word. I've mostly stopped doing formal book reviews except for author requests and/or when I feel like it, but I usually give some description and or opinions of books I'm reading, usually multiple times, through weekly and monthly wrap-ups. I do find that it' s more difficult to review my absolute favorite books than books I either disliked or engaged with strongly on an intellectual rather than emotional level. For example, I rarely review poetry beyond "I loved it'" or "Meh." It's much easier to explain criticism of vocabulary usage or a plot device than explain how the book felt like a snug little snow globe. So, for this Top Ten Tuesday , I'm listing books that I loved, didn't give a formal review, and (I think) didn't discuss too much.  Books I Loved But Never Reviewed A Closed and Common Orbit by Becky Chambers Tess of the Road by Rachel Hartman We Are Okay by Nina LaCour The Broken Earth Trilogy by N.K. J...

Cozy Snowy Books and Books I Want for Hanukkah

 As usual, it's that time again to adjust the Top Ten Tuesday topic because tonight is the third night of Hanukkah. Hanukkah always starts on the 25th of Kislev but that sometimes needs some adjusting on the Gregorian calendar. Happy third night to my fellow celebrants, and happy almost-winter and/or winter holidays to everyone else! Since I also missed last week's topic, I've decided to share some cozy snowy reads--the topic was books set in snowy places but Jana added cozy and I like that as well-- to get into the wintery mood as well as some books I'd like for Hanukkah. Books Set in (Cozy) Snowy Places Love You a Latke by Amanda Elliott--This one is set during Hanukkah in Maine and NYC, so lots of cozy snow and wintry scenes in this evocative Hanukkah romance--and yes, it does involve a lot of food... The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis--Narnia is, of course, not an entirely nice place when the Pevensie children enter it, yet Mr. Tumnus, Mr. and Mrs....

Top Ten 2015 Releases I Meant To Get To But Didn't

Happy Top Ten Tuesday over at the Broke and the Bookish! I had to go back to my anticipated books of 2015 to remember this! Looks like the winners are: 1. The Mechanical by Ian Tregellis 2. Get in Trouble by Kelly Link 3. The Boy Who Lost Fairyland by Catherynne M. Valente 4. Karen Memory by Elizabeth Bear 5. Armada by Ernest Cline 6. The Fifth Season by N.K. Jemisin